[missbirdphotos] Re: My new bird studio

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mississippi Bird Photos Freelists <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 10:10:43 -0400

I grabbed a couple of quick shots from Gary Carter's place in McLeansville, NC
this past weekend of his bird blind setup.  The perches change regularly, and
the accessories change 3 to 4 times a day during a "shoot".   This blind is in
his backyard and used to be the shed for the mower and garden equipment.  He
converted it a bird blind 10 or 12 years ago and has been modifying it ever
since...  Folks from all over have spent time in his backyard photographing
birds. This past long weekend, Cathy & Gordon Illg from Colorado brought
photographers from California, Colorado, Massachussets, Virginia, and Toronto
to photograph birds & herps.  They had a chance to photograph 31 bird species
from the blind in 4 days plus chipmunks, squirrels, and a few butterflies.
There were an additional 19 invertebrate, reptile, & amphibian species in
controlled situations. I call Gary's setup that I grabbed the shot from a
"Birds and Blooms" setup.  There are different accessories for the perches on
different days.  Some days are accessorized with native vegetation for a
"natural" look.  This day was accessorized with plants/flowers from the local
garden center for a "Birds and Blooms" look. The first shot, 2301blindweb, is a
shot looking down the path to the blind with several photographers in the blind
(it comfortably seats 6 photographers, but has held 8). The next shot,
2309birdblindrearweb, is a shot looking out a rear window from the blind.  That
side is set up mostly for 300 to 400 mm lenses.  Note the water feature with a
bathing pool in the lower right center. The next shot, 2313birdblindfrontweb,
is a shot looking to the left out a front window from the blind.  That side is
set up mostly for 400 to 500 mm lenses.  Note the water feature with the
bathing pool to the lower left of the image; the bathing pool is the shallow
area above the "main" water body.  Note also the evergreens in the rear of
several of the perches that provide a soft green background when using open
apertures. The next shot, 2314birdblindfrontweb, is a shot looking to the right
out a front window from the blind. The next two shots, 2320birdblindnear1web,
and 2321bridblindnear2web, are shots between his back porch and the bird blind
that are also "photographable".  There are an additional 3 acres managed for
birds and bird photography. Gary's set-up is the most sophisticated bird
photography area that I've seen, and it changes regularly. Robert

Robert Smith

336-339-3497

rsmithent@xxxxxxx

www.photobiologist.com