[missbirdphotos] Re: My new bird studio

  • From: Robert Smith <rsmithent@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Mississippi Bird Photos Freelists <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:26:03 -0400

Jay & Q.B. Gray - Both of those looks & sound good!  I've pretty much taken
down most of my perches & blinds in NC to make the house more marketable to
"normal" folks.  And the feeders are mostly packed to move to MS.  I was
running 13+ feeders in different locations & different perch configurations.
When I wanted to shoot in the best light, I'd take down the other feeders &
concentrate the birds where I wanted them... There are two schools of thought
on perches: 1) a single perch in perfect light/background etc. and 2) multiple
perches to provide different shot opportunities at the same time.  Most of the
time, I'm a multi-perch advocate... I'll be at a GREAT bird blind for the next
several days.  It'll hold 8 photographers shooting in two different directions.
 It has two water features, MULTIPLE perches, & backgrounds.  Many of the
perches & their accent vegetation can be changed out a couple of times a day if
needed.  (Some of the perches are in Christmas tree stands....).  That way the
perches can be turned & repositioned as needed.  The perches have 1" holes
drilled in the side for suet.  They also have 3/8" holes drilled in spots to
stick in "natural" color (pine limbs, honeysuckle sprouts, etc.). Keep the
ideas coming! Robert

Robert Smith

336-339-3497

rsmithent@xxxxxxx