[missbird] Re: "New" abbreviations

  • From: "Matt Smith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mcsmitfl@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "jlyancy@xxxxxxxxxxx" <jlyancy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:36:24 -0600

Jesse,

The four-letter codes were originally created as shorthand for banders. There's
a couple of different systems in use, but here's a good source that lists the
basic rules you can use to figure out the code for probably 99% of species:

https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/bandcodes.html

And as for deciphering them, here's a handy alphabetical list:

http://www.birdpop.org/DownloadDocuments/Alpha_codes_eng.pdf

Hope this helps,
Matt Smith

Sent from my iPhone