[mira_talk] Re: Getting observed insert size etc for paired end reads

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:25:49 +0100 (CET)

> On February 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM Alan Tsang <alantsangmb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  How do you interpret the min target size of 22?
>  What is your read length? Might I know why is the target size smaller than
>the read length?

Pure mathematics: MIRA calculates average distance, standard deviation and
skewness of the pairs and from that, deduces boundaries.

Having a minimum distance smaller than read size just means that you have
(sometimes a lot of) overlapping read pairs ... and that is standard for most
Illumina paired-end data sets.