[mira_talk] Re: Could not rename checkpoint directory in preparation of saving new checkpoint?

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:46:29 +0100
On 10 Feb 2014, at 17:46 , Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Could not rename checkpoint directory in preparation of saving new
>  *
> * checkpoint?
>  *
> * Error message is boost::filesystem::rename: Directory not empty:
>  *
> * "XXX_assembly/XXX_d_chkpt", "XXX_assembly/XXX_d_chkpt_tmp"               *

MIRA is cautious when saving new checkpoints: first renames the old checkpoint
directory, saves the new checkpoint and, if everything went well, deletes the
old renamed checkpoint directory. So, should anything happen during save of the
new checkpoint (disk full or network problem etc.), it can rollback to the old
checkpoint.

Now, obviously something went wrong: in the previous pass, the last step of the
above things (deleting old, renamed directory) did not happen and I’m blaming
your NFS for that as the call from MIRA is always the same.

I’m not sure I want to code in a total paranoid style (“check after every file
system command everything is as expected”) just because of NFS :-/

B.

> […]
> Might this have been a left over folder from my trying MIRA 3.9
> or something like that?

Nope, I don’t think so or MIRA would have failed in pass one already.