[mira_talk] Re: Assembly finishing

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:03:56 +0200

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 Lionel Guy wrote:
> - Is there any alternative to consed (or to gap4, that is not really
> suitable if you have half a million reads)?
> I would be very pleased if you would share your experience in that
> matter...

Ummm ... I had gap4 running with projects of up to 4 million reads. It
admittedly gets somewhat slow with these sizes, but a a fast processor and a
healthy dose of RAM helps a lot.

I'd also be interested to see gap5, but I do not know how active James is in
that development.

Then again ... I take everything back I just wrote as I quickly checked on
SourceForge: James has just released a preview of gap5:

He writes it is very alpha, but still: Yipie.