[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #621 HackFix

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:14:56 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 20, 12, 2002
in today's issue #621
HackFix Updates
2       Another MS Patch!
3       How Mistletoe Works
4       The Story of the Candy Cane
5       ATnotes
6       Roy Longbottom's PC Benchmark Collection
7       Braving the Elements
8       CCC     Holidays on the Net
9               SiSoftware Sandra
10      Froogle: The Google Product Search Engine
11      Internet Safety

NOTE: Any time you see the "  ++ ",  it means there is more
          of the article, or story, on the linked site. Mike

His will be thas last issure this year.
The next one will be Friday's January 3 2003
We wish you all a safe and happy holiday season,
there is a card for you/everyone here;
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikesxmas_2002.htm

Please rate this Ezine at the Cumuli Ezine Finder

http://www.cumuli.com/ezines/ra20853.rate

AOL Users</a>
  HackFix updates, thanks to Christy;
staff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Http://www.hackfix.org

This weeks Virus Pattern Updates (12/19/2002)

All Software listed Alphabetically by Company name as some
companies manufacture more then one product.

Aladdin Knowledge Systems

Esafe Desktop/Gateway/Enterprise
Last Updated Dec 17/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.esafe.com/esafe/downloads/virusig.asp
Or
From the Esafe folder in your Start Menu select Download Updates
~~~~~

AlWil Software

Avast Antivirus
Last Updated Dec 17/2002
To update your software:
Visit: http://www.avast.com/latest.htm
Or
Right click on the AVAST icon in the system tray, Select iAVS Update,
AVAST will check for updates and download the appropriate files as needed.
~~~~~

Command Software Systems

Command antivirus/Fprot
Last Updated Dec 19/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.complex.is/f-prot/Download.html (F-Prot)
http://www.commandcom.com/downloads/virus_definition_updates.html (Command)
Or
Open Command antivirus click Update Deffiles
~~~~~

Computer Associates

E-Trust
Last updated Dec 19/2002
To update your software
http://support.cai.com/Download/virussig.html
Or
From the Respective folder in your Start Menu select Autodownload

For Vet Anti virus
http://www.vet.com.au/html/software/update.html

Be sure to have your Customer ID and your registered email address
handy for verification.

**Note**

We knew this time would come eventually, that Computer Associates would
not continue to support/update the older program
https://www2.my-etrust.com/services/ipe_support??
~~~~~~

GeCad Software

Rav (Reliable AntiVirus)
Last Updated:  Dec 19/2002
To update your software:
Visit: http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/dldupdate.php?type=Daily
Or
Open Rav and select Rav Update from the toolbar
~~~~~

Grisoft Inc.

AVG
Last updated Dec 17/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_updt.php
Or
Open AVG and click Virus Database to check for updates
Or
Open AVG control centre and click Update Manager/update now

**Note:  To help speed up AVG updates you can set your program to use
an alternate download site.
Open AVG control centre->update manager->download from server.  The
drop downbox should have listed www.grisoft.com (default)  and
www.grisoft.cz. (be sure to select "apply" when done to save the changes)
The default site is most often used so can at times become temporarily
unavailable.  By using the secondary site (www.grisoft.cz) helps to ease
the server and makes your update go quicker as most don't use it!
~~~~~

Kaspersky

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (formerly AVP)
Last updated Dec 13/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.kasperskylabs.com/updates.asp
Or
Open AVP from the top toolbar click Tools-> Update virus definition
Or
From the Kaspersky folder in your Start Menu select AVP updater

*Note*  Avp now has available a cumulative update and a
daily update with the daily being any important items they
feel shouldn't wait till the next cumulative update.  Our
dates here are based on the most recent Major update.

**Note:  Improved update accessiblity.  To ease the update web traffic
Kaspersky labs has additional servers for autoupdating.  The program
defaults to use one server but can be altered to check a variety of
servers. Select Kaspersky updater, select update via the internet to
open the drop down box(es) select "location"  Check the box labeled
"Use alternate locations from the list"  select next and next to update.
This option should stay selected after the first time.  This helps
Kaspersky lighten the load for updates and helps you obtain updates
easier.
~~~~~

Network Associates

Mcafee
Last updated Dec 18/2002
To update your software
For Mcafee Visit
http://www.nai.com/naicommon/download/dats/superdat.asp
(for Virus and Engine updates)
http://www.nai.com/naicommon/download/dats/mcafee_4x.asp
(for Just virus pattern updates)

For Drsolomn (Product no longer available for new users however
updates still available for current users):  Go to the following
Internet site: http://download.mcafee.com/updates/4x.asp
IMPORTANT: When you get to this site you may notice that it refers
to VirusScan. This update is not only for VirusScan. It also works
with Dr.Solomon's.

Or
Open your respective software virus scan scheduler, double click
Auto update, click Run Now to do a manual live update, or click
Schedule to set up a timed live update.
~~~~~

Norman Data Defence

Norman Virus Control
Last updated Dec 18/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.norman.com/downloads.shtml#definition_files_updates
Be sure to have your Valid Username and password handy for verification.
Or
From the Norman folder in your Start Menu select Internet Update

**Note Norman Virus Control web updates are only for version prior to
5.0.  Norman 5.0 can only be updated via the update in the program itself.

Thunderbyte Anti Virus
Current Version: This product is no longer being supported.
http://www.norman.com/tbav.shtml
~~~~~

Softwin

BitDefender (Previously known as AVX - AntiVirus eXpert as of Nov 06/01)
Last Updated Dec 13/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.bitdefender.com/html/updates.php
Or
Open BitDefender select Protection Options->live upgrade
Or
From the BitDefender folder in your Start Menu select Bitdefender Live

Press Release on the software change
http://www.bitdefender.com/press/ref1.php
~~~~~

Sophos

Sophos Anti Virus
Last IDE available Dec 19/2002
To obtain the latest IDE files
Visit: http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/

**Note:  Sophos does not update as other products do.  They update
the Engine/software once a month (or so) to include all the previous
IDE files.  New IDE files are available with new virus threats and must
be downloaded individually until the next software update is available.
Our update dates reflect the most recent available IDE file.
~~~~~

Symantec

Nortons AntiVirus
Last updated Dec 19/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html select
your language -> product from the list
Or
Open Nortons software and click the "live update" button
Or
From the Nortons folder in your Start Menu select LiveUpdate -
Norton Antivirus
~~~~~

Trend Micro

PcCillin
Last updated Dec 17/2002
To update your software
Visit: http://www.antivirus.com/download/pattern.asp
Be sure to have your Registration number handy for verification
Or
Open PcCillin click Update then click Update Now (or Update later
to Schedule a timed update)
~~~~~~~~~

If there is an Anti Virus program that is Not listed here that
you would like to see added to the weekly updates list Please
feel free to let us know.

Remember Your anti virus software is only as good as the user...
If you don't keep it updated it won't provide you with maximum
protection.

This weekly Update will be sent every Thursday on or after
6pm (eastern) to keep you up to date on virus pattern updates
available. Virus patterns are checked for most recent update
date as of 6pm Thursdays.

~~~~

~ Hackfix Project Staff
staff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Http://www.hackfix.org

3017 St Clair Ave #176
Burlington, Ontario
L7R 3L7
2

Another MS Patch!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-072.asp
What You Should Know About Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-072
Security Update for Microsoft Windows XP  December 18, 2002

Why We Are Issuing This Update
An identified security issue in the Microsoft® Windows® shell could
allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows XP-based system and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
update.

Product Affected by This Update
The following product requires updating:
Microsoft Windows XP (all versions)
++
3
How Mistletoe Works
  http://www.howstuffworks.com/mistletoe.htm
Hanging mistletoe over a doorway is a common Christmas tradition.
Have you ever wondered about the story behind it?
Find out why people kiss beneath this shrubbery.
From; HowStuffWorks
http://www.howstuffworks.com
4
The Story of the Candy Cane
http://denig.com/cooking/candycane.html
There once were two villages in a far off land. One was in a valley and one
was on a mountain top. The people in the mountain village wanted to give
each person in the valley a gift of love at Christmas. The people in the
valley were having difficult times, but those in the mountain village were
doing well. (Sometimes when we are on a mountain top we can help those who
are going through a valley in their lives too.)
So a committee was formed of townspeople to see if someone would be able to
think of something special. Money was limited, and each gift had to be of
equal value to each person. After much time and discussion a decision was
finally reached. An elderly gentleman who had loved Jesus for many years and
who was well respected and loved, came up with the idea of the candy cane.

Now, you may be thinking, what is so special about a candy cane and how can
it ever be tied in with the real meaning of Christmas?
Well, here is how and why...
 ++ There is more on the web site.

From; Janet ~ "Globechatters"
 http://home.clara.net/wightway/
5
ATnotes
http://atnotes.free.fr/
ATnotes is a FREEWARE program which creates Post-it like notes on the
Windows desktop.
The user interface is provided through an icon in the taskbar and supports
english and german language, which is set automatically according to the
system default language.
++
6
Roy Longbottom's PC Benchmark Collection
 http://homepage.virgin.net/roy.longbottom/index.htm
 The PC Benchmark Collection comprises a large number of FREE benchmarks and
reliability testing programs mainly to run via Windows 9X/NT/2K/XP. They are
packaged in ZIP files which can be downloaded and unzipped into their own
folders. No installation process is necessary - just click and go, after
reading supplied documentation. Some also have versions that are intended to
run via DOS, OS/2 and Windows 3.1 (see OldOnes.htm). Results are saved in
log files that can be copied into a spreadsheet or other document. In most
cases for the latest benchmarks, results from numerous PCs dating back to
80486 CPUs are included in the ZIP file.

Most programs were compiled using Watcom C/C++ Version 11.0 but the latest
are via Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 in order to use SSE, SSE2 and 3DNow CPU
instructions - See NEW Files.

Copyright (C) Roy Longbottom 1997 - 2002
  Free for personal use only
  Use at your own risk
++
7
Braving the Elements ~ free
http://www.kewlbox.com/games/game.cfm?gameId=59
Windows or Mac.
You may think you have it tough, but Bob has a real adventure ahead of him.
You must help Bob make it through the city, climbing stairs, dodging
slippery ice, and jumping from building to building.
Watch out for the crazed crows, nutty squirrels and mad dogs!

8
'Christy's Computer Corner'
  thanks to Christy;
http://www.1stpick.org

Holidays on the Net

http://www.holidays.net/

Your Source for Holiday Celebrations on the World Wide Web.
Resources, links, aids for educators, crafts and pictures, travel, holiday
store, and more...
~~~~~~~~
9
Lookin for Help?
One of the first questions you will hear is what are your system specs?
Find them with;  SiSoftware Sandra ~ Freeware
<http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=pinformation&a=&la
ng=en>

SiSoftware Sandra (the System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant)
is an information & diagnostic utility.
It should provide  most of the information (including undocumented) you need
to know about your hardware, software and other devices whether hardware or
software.

Sandra provides similar level of information to Norton SI, Quarterdeck
WinProbe/Manifest, etc.
The Win32 version is 32-bit and comes in both ANSI (legacy for Windows 98/Me
systems) and native Unicode
(Windows NT4/2000/XP/.Net) formats.
The Win64 version is 64-bit and comes in native Unicode format.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

10
Froogle: The Google Product Search Engine
http://froogle.google.com/
Google launches Froogle, named with pun firmly in cheek.
Froogle contains just products.
Sellers can get their products included for free, potentially using a data
feed.
See the About Froogle and Information for Merchants for more details.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle/about.html
Unlike regular Google results, Froogle includes price, store name, and
sometimes even a picture.
++
11
Mike's Friday Tip ~ Internet Safety
See my full 'AnyFrontPage Bytes' article here;
http://www.anyfrontpage.com/bytes/security.htm
Have You been away?
Something we don't always think of, you've been away for a few days and
return to sit down and check the mail, or go surfing.
Be sure to check your Anti Virus program for updates, a lot can happen while
you were gone.

The safest form of email is plain text as it cannot hide HTML scripts, which
may contain virus or malicious scripts.
Do not open attachments unless the sender has notified you prior to it's
arrival that they are sending you one, along with its name and size.
You may be wise to set your email program to just download the e-mail
headers, so that you can be sure that there are no double extensions, such
as  .exe, .scr, or .pif.

We all like to use 'Java Script' on our web pages but not all Java Script's
are safe.

Reference; "Kaspersky Labs"
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=57335
Netdex is multi-component backdoor trojan program.
It allows a remote hacker to take control of infected computers.
To accomplish this, the backdoor code downloads special script files from
the Web site http://www.two.com.ru, processes them and then sends the result
back to that Web site.

The main backdoor component is a Java Script program with the name,
"zshell.js"
Other backdoor components are:
a.com - DOS COM program (helper)
netd.exe - Win32 EXE program (transfer service)
o.js, installer.php - Java Script (installer)
repost.html, sh.php - HTML page with Java Script program (additional
component)"
++ There is more on the web site.

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~