[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #620

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:48:04 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 19, 12, 2002
in today's issue #620
Free Online Christmas Games
A DIFFERENT TYPE OF PRAYER
Ligne Directe
Users Peeved at Microsoft Security Effort
Spam may overtake e-mail in 2003
Really Big
Google Viewer
PowerPoint Viewer 97 for PowerPoint 97, 2000, and 2002 Users
CCC     1st Page 2000
        Emoticons and Abbreviations

Free Online Christmas Games
http://freechristmasgames.com/
Click here for Mah Jong game for kids
Click here for Sokoban game
Click here for Christmas Toys jigsaw puzzle
++

A DIFFERENT TYPE OF PRAYER

 Heavenly Father, help us remember that the jerk who cut us
off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours
that day and was rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do
the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

 Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested
young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old
college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with
his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester.

 Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for
money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is
a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst
nightmares.

 Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly
slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are
savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she
got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping
together.

 Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts
you give us, the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share
that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not just to those
who are close to us but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judgment
and quick to forgiveness and patience and empathy and love.

  AMEN

 ~Author Unknown~

Ligne Directe ~ free
http://www.lignedirecte.ca/en/
Ligne Directe will enable you to interact in real-time with the visitors of
your website.

Features include chatting with simultaneous visitors, invite someone on your
website to chat with you, the ability to co-browse the web with the visitor
and to chat between operators

The application will add a human touch to your website and improve your
customer and support services. The basic version (in English and French)
will allow you to instantly see and chat simultaneously with different
visitors. But you will not have access to the history of the conversations,
be able to push web pages or change your status of availability. This
version is free and easy to install on your website using HTML codes .
++

Users Peeved at Microsoft Security Effort
Microsoft Corp. customers are growing frustrated by a series of
actions the company has taken that they say call into question
its efforts to improve security.
++
From; eWEEK

Spam may overtake e-mail in 2003
http://www.net-security.org/news.php?id=1642
This year has seen a marked increase in malicious spam, such as financial
scams. The most well-known of these, the Nigerian scam, seems to make
particular victims of Americans. A recent report by the U.K. National
Criminal Intelligence Service stated that as many as five Americans per day
have been seen waiting in London hotel lobbies to meet people connected with
the scam. MessageLabs predicted Nigerian scam operations will gross more
than $2 billion in 2003.

Another new wrinkle in malicious spam is the FriendGreeting applet, a
legitimate-looking online greeting-card service that tricks users into
downloading an applet that mass-mails the addresses in a user's Windows
address book and invites recipients to go to a greeting-card site, where
they're prompted to download the same applet. MessageLabs has intercepted
70,000 copies of that e-mail.

The company predicts that spam next year will not only scour address books
for e-mail addresses but will also look through the user's Internet Explorer
cache, as viruses now do.
++
From; Help Net Security ~ http://net-security.org

Really Big

http://reallybig.com/default.shtml

"Main network entry page to more than 5000 resources for web builders
including free clip art, CGI scripts, tutorials, counters, fonts, html,
java, animation, backgrounds, icons, wysiwyg editors, buttons, photographs,
site promotion, and much more.
It is The Complete Resource for ANYONE who wants to develop pages on the
internet, from beginner to experienced Web site developer.
Includes the largest directory of Web building resources on the internet."
Thanks to; Christy

Google Viewer
http://labs.google.com/gviewer.html
The Google Viewer displays the pages found as a result of your Google search
as a continuous scrolling slide show. You can view your search results
without using your keyboard or mouse and you can adjust the speed with which
the images move across your screen. Each image of a page's contents is
accompanied by a short "snippet" describing that page.
++
From; TOURBUS Volume 8, Number 30
 http://www.TOURBUS.com
*** MfM ***  This is an interesting concept, you can move back
                     and forth to view the pages from a control pannel
                     similar to a VCR fast forward and rewind buttons.

PowerPoint Viewer 97 for PowerPoint 97, 2000, and 2002 Users
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Ppview97.aspx
This download is for users who don't have Microsoft PowerPoint®; it allows
them to view PowerPoint 95, 97, 2000, and 2002 presentations. The PowerPoint
Viewer 97 allows people who use PowerPoint to share their presentations with
people who do not have PowerPoint installed on their computers. When you
post presentations on the Internet, you can include the PowerPoint Viewer to
expand your online audience to people who might not have PowerPoint, or to
those with different versions.
You can use this viewer to view files created in both PowerPoint for
Windows® and PowerPoint for the Macintosh.
Posted to; Computer_Help_and_Discussion
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Computer_Help_and_Discussion/

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

1st Page 2000
Freeware
http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage/

1st Page 2000 is a professional HTML editing software which lets
you create great websites fast! The visually appealing program
comes bundled with over 450+ Javascripts and supports all the
latest web languages.
~~~~~~~

Emoticons and Abbreviations
http://www.thirdage.com/features/tech/netglos/index.html
If you use email, chat, or forums, you've probably come across what looks
like a secret foreign language of weird symbols. This
list of emoticons and abbreviations will help you talk the talk of the
online world.
Now you, too, can impress friends and family with fun and unusual
abbreviations!

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~