[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #618

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:21:59 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 17, 12, 2002
in today's issue #618
WinXP firewall: good and bad points
Packtrack
Holiday Safety Tips
Spammunition
Solve the Mystery of the Missing Toolbar
Santa Balls
CCC     Ranger Rick's Kid Zone
        MS DOS

WinXP firewall: good and bad points
http://www.pcflank.com/art29.htm
Windows XP operating system goes with built-in firewall software known as
Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). But should users enable it? In this
brief article we will try to find the answer.

Internet Connection Firewall is a security system that acts as a protective
boundary between a network and the outside world. It is used to set
restrictions on what information is communicated from your home or small
office network to and from the Internet to your network.
++
From; PCFlank

Packtrack
http://www.packtrack.com

Make sure your Christmas gifts get there on time!
An all-in-one package tracking site with UPS, FedEx, Airborne and
more.

Holiday Safety Tips
http://cbc.ca/consumers/specials/holidays/
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times?"
- Charles Dickens

Once again, the holiday season is upon us. And while many of us are going
about buying gifts or just sharing a cup of good cheer with friends and
family, there is danger on the horizon.

The hurried holiday pace, the excitement of get-togethers, the long
distances often travelled, all can make it easy to overlook basic safety
guidelines. That's why CBC has created this site ? we hope you make
holiday safety part of your planning for the festive season.

Here you will find a few suggestions to make these special days safe and
joyful ones.
++

SPAMMUNITION
http://www.upserve.com/spammunition/default.asp
Spammunition is a free spam fighting tool for Microsoft Outlook 2000 (and
higher).
12/15/02 - New Version Released: Version 0.60 Beta -

Completely new install and setup package - automated install
New "Show Analysis" screen which shows a detailed analysis of any mail item,
including all word probabilities (also sortable)
Tons of bug fixes: Any folder can now be used to store spam (not just top
level folders), fixed "personal folders" naming bug, non-mail items will be
handled properly, etc.
More effective spam filtering due to improved internet header analysis

Spammunition uses the Bayesian filtering techniques outlined in Paul
Graham's article A Plan for Spam. Spammunition is simple to use, and
successfully identifies 99% of the spam I get. The more spam you get, the
better Spammunition is at filtering it out of your inbox.

Spammunition is freeware. It's a COM Add-In. It does not work with Outlook
Express.
++
From; LangaList
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-12-16.htm

Solve the Mystery of the Missing Toolbar
http://www.winxpnews.com
If there's a number one frustration for beginning Windows users, it must be
the mystery of the missing toolbar. Where did it go? There isn't a "show me
the toolbar" command, so how do you get it back when you lose it? The good
news is that there aren't many things that can make the toolbar disappear.
One thing that can make the toolbar appear to disappear is shrinking it down
so much that it can't be seen. When that happens, try this method to bring
it back in view:

Move your mouse to the point where you remember the toolbar used to be. It's
on the bottom of the screen by default, but you might have moved it to the
side or top.
You should see the mouse pointer turn into a double arrow when it "finds"
the toolbar's location. As soon as it turns into a double arrow, hold down
the left mouse button and drag the toolbar edge upwards. Don't drag it too
far, or you'll make it "fat."
The toolbar is back. If you dragged the edge up too far, you can grab the
edge again and drag it downward to resize it.
Another thing that can cause your toolbar to disappear is when you (or maybe
someone else) configured the toolbar to "hide" when it's not being used.
This problem is also easy to fix:
Press the Windows Key on your keyboard. This opens the Start menu. Open the
Control Panel.
Open the Taskbar and Start applet.
Remove the checkmark from the Auto-hide the taskbar checkbox. Click Apply
and then click OK.
The taskbar will reappear and it won't mysteriously disappear again. Of
course, once you realize what happened, you might want to enable auto-hide
again.
From; Win XP News http://www.winxpnews.com

Santa Balls ~ free
http://www.kewlbox.com/games/game.cfm?gameId=54
Windows or Mac
Santa Balls (formerly Elf Balls)
It began many years ago at the North Pole.
Elves, who are attracted to bright, shiny objects, created this game of
ball swapping and busting.
Game comes with a built in Ball Juggler to really shake them up.
After all, Santa's keeping a list and checking it twice.
++

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Ranger Rick's Kid Zone

http://www.nwf.org/kids/

Kids learn about wildlife while playing games and other cool
interactive learning.  The National Wildlife Federation Kid Zone.

~~~~~~~

ABOUT MS-DOS
Microsoft DOS (Disk Operating System) is a command line user interface.
MS-DOS 1.0 was released in 1981 for IBM computers and the latest version of
MS-DOS is MS-DOS 6.22 released in 1994.
While MS-DOS is not commonly used by itself today, it still can be accessed
from Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME by clicking Start / Run and typing
command or CMD in Windows NT, 2000 or XP.
For more information go to;
http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~