[MikesWhatsNews] MWN # 615

  • From: "Carissa" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:05:19 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 12, 12, 2002
in today's issue #615
MemoKeys v1.8
AM-Notebook
The Tank PC
The Avant Browser
Koala's Christmas Pages
The Christmas Math Game
CCC      The Family Browser
 Creating a Template

MemoKeys v1.8 [793k] W9x/2k/XP FREE

http://www.mywebattack.com/gnomeapp.php?id=105496

MemoKeys allows you to create shortcut key combinations (hotkeys), like F5 +
A or ` + W, and associates them with any text information of your choice.
You can use it to store your address, name, e-mail signature, or any other
text you enter. Then, instead of typing "Webattack is my favorite download
site," every time you e-mail your friends, you could just press F10 + W and
the text is instantly typed for you. MemoKeys works with any software
application, including word processors, e-mail programs, Web forms, and any
other window that accepts text input. You can specify a default function key
or use the one suggested for your specific keyboard layout. In addition, you
can also print a list of all your MemoKeys as a quick reference. [MWA]
From; Lockergnome
++

AM-Notebook ~ free
http://aignes.com/notebook.htm
Keep your notes, don't forget your dates

AM-Notebook is a fine system tray utility that provides an easy way to store
notes, TODOs and other data.
Another nice features are the integrated Address-Book and the Alarm-Clock,
which doesn't let you forget entered dates. Important notes can be
encrypted, when you open a note you must enter the password.
++
Thanks to; Christy

The Tank PC
http://www.driesbessels.com/hdpc.htm
The whole object of the project was to make an original 'case-mod'. A
case-mod is a PC with a modified case. Sometimes they have extra lights
added, sometimes they are custom painted and i have even seen one made out
of an empty beer-crate. I thought it would be funny to use an old petrol
tank but the main problem was obtaining the Harley bits, plenty of PC bits
lying around.
++

The Avant Browser
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r828.html
The Avant Browser, written by programmer Anderson Che of SUNY, is
also an excellent browser which stops pop-ups and is as faster/faster
than Opera 6.05.

In addition, Avant has been thoroughly tested by TSA_TRG, the
independent research arm of the Tech Support Alliance, on all major
Win OSs and on a large variety of h'ware PCs, ranging from 133 MGHz
to 2.0 GHz CPUS w/ RAM varying from 64 MB to 512 MB.

Thanks to; Thanks to; Jasmine,
 Owner/Group Moderator: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pro_tech  and
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

Koala's Christmas Pages
http://www.thekoala.com/christmas.htm
Koala's Christmas Pages have been up for nearly five years.
In this time we have become one of the most popular places to locate the
best Christmas resources on the net. You will find recipes, traditions,
games, crafts, free downloads, graphics and many other goodies all related
to Christmas.

On our own pages we offer free Christmas email cards, gift tags to print,
great Australian Christmas Recipes, information on how Australians celebrate
Christmas,backgrounds. PSP tubes and frames, a great concentration game for
the whole family to play as well as a wealth of other information.
++

The Christmas Math Game  ~  Download
http://www.kprobe.com/kprobe/
A FREE math game.
Santa has to do his math by making equations...
and add reindeer to his sleigh before he can take off.
Rearrange numbers to complete the equations.
Grades 1 through 8.
Home or school.
++

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

The Family Browser
http://www.thefamilybrowser.com/defaulter.asp
freeware

This is an MDI browser that scans each site page-by-page,
frame-by-frame for objectionable material before page rendering.
Parents can use the calendar to view all of a child's navigations
and surfing habits.

Options include disabling of the "mailto" feature that invites
kids into e-mail exchanges, default homepage, enable-disable
filtering, blocking of IE Favorites (optional), recording of
navigation, and an allowable domain list.

When an objectionable site is detected, a bell rings and a
padlock is displayed. You can allow the site to
render by clicking the lock and entering the correct password.

~~~~~~~

Creating a Template

If you frequently use WordPad to do your word processing, you're probably
getting tired of formatting every document (changing the font, typing the
same heading, and so on).
Does this thing come with templates or what?
The answer is no, but that doesn't mean you can't make one. Just take a few
minutes to do the formatting once, and you'll have an instant time-saver.

Open WordPad and make all the formatting changes you'd like to include in
your template--for example, you might
change the font and point size of the text.
(Tip: Type at least one character and then assign these settings to it.)
When you're finished, save the file in a convenient location using a name
such as "template.tpl."

Now instruct Windows to open any file with a .tpl extension in WordPad.
Open any Explorer window and select View, Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click the New Type button.
Next to Description Of Type, enter a description, such as "WordPad
Template."
Next to Associated Extension, type

tpl

Click New, and in the Action box of the New Action dialog box, type

Open

Under Application Used To Perform Action, type WordPad's path, such as

C:\Program Files\Accessories\Wordpad.exe

Finally, click OK three times to close all open dialog boxes.

Ready to try it out?
Double-click template.tpl and it opens in WordPad, complete with all your
formatting.
(Tip: Be sure to save it under a new name before creating a new document
from the template.)

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~