[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #612

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 16:47:32 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 09, 12, 2002
in today's issue #612
Cumulative Patch for IE ~ Maximum Severity Rating: Critical
Obsolete Computer Museum
Freelists to offer MailandFiles.com
A New Spyware Tactic?
Animaland
CCC      RdocEx
        Printer Drivers

Obsolete Computer Museum

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/

Remember Tandy?
No, she wasn't the girl you took to the Senior Prom; it was a computer
company.
Heck, a simple system used to be enough back in the Dark Ages.
Who needs all that RAM, anyway? Of course, Tandy couldn't hold a candle to
the C64.
That was in a class all by itself.
Why am I tripping down 30 pin memory lane?
Let's just say this site was making me feel nostalgic. Now you can relive
your experiences with
all those antiquated systems; think back to a much simpler time.
As one geek scribbled: "Hey, it was [still] faster than typing."
Thanks to; Christy

Cumulative Patch for IE ~ Maximum Severity Rating: Critical
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-068.asp

What You Should Know About Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-068
Security Update for Microsoft Internet Explorer

Why We Are Issuing This Update
An identified security issue could enable an attacker to read files or run
programs on a computer that visited his or her Web site. By installing this
update, you can help protect your computer against this issue and bring
Microsoft® Internet Explorer up-to-date with respect to security.

Products Affected by This Update
The following products require updating:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 (Service Pack 2 required to install update)
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
Internet Explorer 5.01 is not affected by this issue.
Earlier versions are no longer supported.
Users with earlier versions are strongly encouraged to upgrade.
++

Freelists to offer MailandFiles.com
http://www.mailandfiles.com/
Our amazing list host, FreeLists, has started a new email and file
storage service called MailandFiles.com: "For 5 bucks a month, you get
access to 50MB of email and file storage, a you@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
email address, access to that email through web mail, POP3, and IMAP,
 plus access to your files both through the web mail client and FTP.
(Software like WebDrive(tm) and Windows 2000+'s "map a network
drive" makes it easier on Windows users.)"
If their incredible service at FreeLists is any indication, this is sure
to be the best service of its kind on the Internet:
++

A New Spyware Tactic?
http://camtech2000.net/Newsletters/a_new_spyware_tactic.htm

I don?t usually publish a Newsletter unless I have a new program to
release but in this case I think it?s more than warranted.  Thanks goes
out to JoeComputer for alerting me about this one.

A program called Spyware Nuker was recently released boasting it can remove
Spyware and Adware from your PC that others may leave behind.  After testing
this I was very surprised by what I found.  Am I calling this Spyware?  Read
on for the results of my tests and you can decide.

What first caught my attention is that you have to first download a small
installer that downloads and installs the main file.  As a software
developer I can tell you that it?s twice the work to create a file to
download a file and unnecessary in my opinion.  Most that do this will
download to a temporary directory, install the program and then delete the
main file.  The only reason I see for this is if someone didn?t want you
to have or see the main file.  I managed to get it anyway and found that
their files were compressed by a little known compressor and aren?t
readable by standard Windows means.  Is there something to hide?
++
thanks to; Jerry Campbell
http://Camtech2000.org

***MfM*** be sure to read the rest of the story.

Animaland! from The ASPCA
http://www.animaland.org/
Animaland--THE place to be for kids who love animals.
Stories, Games, Polls, Pet Care Guides--all brought to you by the ASPCA.
++

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

RdocEx
Freeware
http://www.mlin.net/misc.shtml

A nifty shell add-on that adds the programs you run as well as
the documents you open to your Recent Documents menu..
~~~~~~~

Printer Drivers

http://www.printer-drivers.com/

"This site maintains listings of printer, plotter,
and multi-office driver files available on the web, organized by
company.
 Includes links to useful resources. Includes hp drivers, canon drivers,
epson drivers, lexmark drivers, brother drivers, xerox drivers, panasonic
drivers, nec  drivers, okidata drivers, star micronics drivers, olivetti
drivers, cannon drivers, sharp, hewlett packard, apple, compaq, samsung,
etc."

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~