[MEBC-Butterfly] Spring flowers, insects, beasts...

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:24:17 -0400

Hey folks
After posting my early butterflies the other day I didn't have time to post any of the other early organisms I've seen lately. Here is ... the REST of the story:

THU 05 MAR 2009
Jackson Bridge, Nolichucky River, Washington Co., TN

River Otters - 2

FRI 06 MAR 2009
Greeneville Dam, Nolichucky River, Greene Co., TN

Lonicera fragrantissima (Winter Honeysuckle, introduced, usually found at old abandoned homesites in the woods)
Senecio obovatus (Roundleaf Ragwort)
Trillium luteum (Yellow Trillium)
---

SAT 07 MAR 2009
Weaver's Bend, French Broad River, Cocke Co., TN

Tussilago farfara (Coltsfoot)
Hepatica americana (Round-lobed Hepatica)
Viola rafinesquii (Field Pansy)
Erigenia bulbosa (Harbinger of Spring)

Besides the Eastern Comma, Mourning Cloaks, and Spring Azures reported earlier, I also saw a brown colored stinkbug sp., and a Tiger Beetle I've never seen before. The Tiger Beetle was metallic green on the head and pronotum, but the elytra were a unique shade of reddish purple or maroon, with a couple of very small linear spots. The closest picture I could find to it was a Cow-path Tiger Beetle, Cincedela purpurea, but C. splendida and C. scutellaris are possibilities. See the following website

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/insects/tigb/thumb/thumb.htm

The best find of the day though was a larval salamander in the pond near the first railroad bridge. It looked like an ambystoma larva, about 3 - 4 inches long. At this early date I believe an ambystoma larva that big must be a Marbled Salamander, Ambystoma opacum. The earliest date recorded for sightings of Spotted Salamander larva in the Smokies, according to The Amphibians of Great Smoky Mtns. Natl. Park by C. Kenneth Dodd, is March 22.

There were also Red-spotted Newts active in the pond, and a couple of Wood Ducks.

Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx> moderator.