[MEBC-Butterfly] Moth Study Site at Winged Deer Park 6-29-14

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mary Ann Kinch <makwdpark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 08:43:55 -0400

On Sunday, June 29, 2014, Larry McDaniel and I photographed 11 species of moths
from 4:53am – 5:34am.  It had rained over the night, and the temperature was
moderate.  Numbers have been continuously low, but we hope to remedy that with
a new lightbulb.  This light was recommended by the knowledgeable Tori Staples
of Discover Life, and has been installed since our last study session. The moth
of the week is Haploa clymene, or Clymene moth.  It is in the family of Tiger
moths, Eribidae, which is a rich, varied family.  Like many of the other moths
in the genus haploa, it is rather triangular at rest, with wings that are
scooped at the tips.  Haploas are patterned with bold black or chocolate brown
markings on cream-colored forewings.  The Clymene is distinctively marked with
an upside-down cross that can be seen when its wings are folded.  Just as
lovely as the bold markings are the beautiful yellow underwings, each marked
with a single black spot.  Although it is quite common, it is always a treat to
see, and was the clear beauty of the morning moth study.  You might come across
this moth during the day while hiking in the forest.  It is also attracted to
lights, so check your porch light occasionally to look for this striking Tiger
Moth. Other firsts for the site this week were Amydria effrentella - Burrowing
Webworm Moth, Double-striped Scoparia Moth, and Dark-banded Owlet Moth. Our
insect of the week is in fact not an insect, but an arachnid.  It was just too
cool to be excluded from our report.  It is the Orchard Orbweaver, Leucauge
venusta.  The Latin venusta translates as "beautiful", a very good name.  This
spider's abdomen is a show-stopping, metallic silver, with fine black lines.
Shades of yellow and green start on the sides, and meet with orange in a
chaotic splash of color on the underside.  Orbweavers spin a very strong silk
called dragline silk, which has been studied by DuPont scientists as the ideal
material to replicate.  Some believe that because of the Orbweaver's heavier
mass, it requires a stronger silk to use as a safety net in case it falls.  A
heavier mass equals greater chance of injury in a fall. The next moth study
session will be one hour before sunrise, on Sunday, July 13 at 5:15 am, on the
back porch of the Headquarters building at Winged Deer Park.  (This is the
large white farmhouse next to Robert Young cabin.)  If you would like to join
us, please contact Larry at larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This project is
sponsored by Johnson City Parks and Recreation Department, and Discover Life,
http://www.discoverlife.org.  Heather Jones