[mea] Re: Question about flat fees

  • From: Janice Liwanag <jliwanag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mea list <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:46:13 -0500

Thanks, Annalee and Judy, for your great feedback. It's a relief to know
that this is a common situation, and that there is a way around it, with a
proper contract.

I have run into another question, though...

This editing project will take place in a workshop setting, where the editor
has to compile and edit the results of brainstorming sessions during a 3-day
workshop. The client wants me to have a back-up contractor ready to take my
place, should I be unable to attend any of the sessions (let's say, I got
hit by a bus on the way to the workshop). I never thought of such a thing,
but I understand why they would want a back-up. The client wants me to
provide the contact information, qualifications, and experience of this
contractor in writing. Plus, I would have to train the contractor prior to
the workshop, and pay him/her for the training time.

Is it typical for editors to include a 'back-up plan' like this in their
contracts?

Confused,

Janice

Janice Liwanag