[mea] Question about flat fees

  • From: Janice Liwanag <jliwanag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mea list <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:06:13 -0500

Hi all,

Looking for some insight...

I am a freelancer who is thinking of taking on an editing project for an
organization that receives funding from the Canadian government. The
organization says it can only offer to pay me a flat fee, which is the
maximum amount of funding they receive from the government to pay a
contractor like me.

While the amount of the flat fee seems reasonable right now, I can see how
an editing project like this could quickly turn into a 'minimum-wage'
endeavour. Up to this point, I have been able to get paid as a contractor
according to my fee structure, not the client's.

Questions...
- Is it common for organizations to dictate how much they will pay a
contractor (writer/editor/desktop publisher)?
- What can contractors do to protect themselves from being undercompensated
in this scenario?

I appreciate your input,

Janice

Janice Liwanag