[maths] Re: more of calculus

  • From: "Nelson Blachman" <blachman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <maths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 22:38:58 -0800

Ned,

  Your solution to the earlier Problem 3:
Find the absolute maximum and minimum of f on the given interval:
3. q: f(x) = x^3 - 3x + 1, [0,3].

seems pretty good.  I guess you differentiated f(x), getting
f'(x) = 3x^2 - 3,
which vanishes when x = +-1.
The second derivative is
f"(x) = 6x,
which is positive and negative at these 2 values of x, respectively, showing
thet f(x) has a local maximum at x=-1
and a local minimum at x=1, viz., -1, which happens to be the "absolute
minimum" on the interval [0,3].

I hope you have a mental image of this typical cubic function.  On this
interval the "absolute maximum" occurs where x=3, viz., 19.

This approach should be helpful to you in dealing with the succeeding problems.
 I regret that I don't recall just what the theorems mentioned there state.

  HTH
  Nelson