[maths] Re: antiderivatives; calculus

  • From: "Nelson Blachman" <blachman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <maths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:57:24 -0800

Ned,

  You began with the right f(x)= x + 1/x, but you should not have set it equal
to zero, and having set it equal to zero, you didn't solve the resulting
equation correctly; the correct solution to that equation is x = i or -i, where
i is either of the two square roots of -1.

  If you'd differentiated f(x), you'd have gotten 1 - 1/x^2 = 0, whose
solutions are, of course x = 1 or -1.  Then you'd have to look at the value of
f(1) and f(-1) to see which, if either, of these is a minimum of f(x).

  Since the statement of the problem excludes x=-1, you need only to look at
x=1, where the second derivative of f(x) is 2/x^3.  Since this is positive for
x=1, we can conclude that the point (1,2) is the minimum of f(x) insofar as
positive values of x are concerned; if you allow x<0, there's no global
minimum, only this local minimum at x=1 as well as a local maximum at x=-1,
since f(x) can be arbitrarily small when x gets arbitrarily negative.

  I've been planning to look again at your earlier e-mail to consider problems
3 & 4 when I've found time to clean up the seventy unread e-mails now in my
Inbox.

  --Nelson