[malicesprings] Re: Update - website, white star, derby names and more!

  • From: =alex kelly = <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: malicesprings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:54:22 +0930

WAHOO! So great to see so much of this stuff moving, awesome!

One thing re _training for white star_ was that I thought it would be good to let the people who need to resit/haven't sat yet let us know when suits them to sit rather than set a date per se.... Would it be possible to hold off submitting the names until a few weeks later in Dec to give those people a chance to resit/sit when they are ready? (But keep the strict deadline for people who have already passed!!)

We will have to nut out which committee looks after which aspects of the leagues on the planning day on 5th, as I think Gaynor and Erin were looking after finances/membership and training committee should really set times for trainings/white stars etc. No worries at all about info zooming around now - just something to discuss on 5th!

I am happy to volunteer to prepare agenda and facilitate the meeting on the 5th - anyone else want to too?

Logo - we should make sure that Bethwish is in on design discussions as she is great at this stuff (and she is back on dry land in NZ now!!)

I prefer malicespringsrollerderby.com <http://malicespringsrollerderby.com> for a web address.

Awesome news about the Skate Aust membership stuff too, I am happy to join and be one of the 10 so we know that the league is able to join as well. I think Skate Aust are changing their fees in 2011 (from discussion on the roller derby forum).

See you all next Thurs when back from bush!
Axle

On 18/11/10 9:49 PM, Lisa Chin wrote:

    Hi All,

    The communications committee (currently Jen and Lisa) met for the
    first time on Wednesday night so here's an update on the website,
    white star assessment, derby names and membership.

    Website
        - Domain name purchase. There are three obvious options (in
    order of our preference): malicespringsrollerderby.com
    <http://malicespringsrollerderby.com>, malicesprinsgrdl.com
    <http://malicesprinsgrdl.com> and msrdl.com <http://msrdl.com>. If
    we are concerned about people not finding the site we can always
    purchase more than one domain name and redirect from there to the
    real site. Please let us know if you have any suggestions or what
    your preference is for this by Thursday 25th November.
        - Hosting options are still being considered and will cost
    about $60-100 a year, if you have any recommendations please send
    through; at this stage it's looking like we'll be using Wordpress
    as a CMS.
        - Site build: Jen has done some awesome work (Go Jen!!)
    starting a website build
    (https://sites.google.com/site/malicespringsrdl/) and we will
    continue working on this. Please take a look and send through any
    suggestions, there's still quite a bit of work to do getting
    content together and finalising the structure but we're on the
    way. With regards to content you'll notice there is a featured
    "Derby girl" and we'll be taking photos on Sunday 5th December at
    training to use in this section. We'd also like to include a short
    Bio, so start thinking about yours - it doesn't need to be long
    and can include info like derby name and number, length of time
    you've been skating, achievements to date, why you Derby, brag
    about your skates. Have a look at some on the Rocky Mountain
    Roller Girls site

<http://www.rockymountainrollergirls.com/mambots/editors/tinymce/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=133&Itemid=161>to
    see what they've done. We'd like to collect these on 5th December
    as well.
    For those of you who couln't make it to our derby watching session
    at Annie's the date for the big get together planning day has been
    set as Sunday 5th December from midday until it's time to start
    training. Location yet to be specified so suggestions are welcome
    if someone has plenty of space at their house :)

    White Star Assessment
        - For all those who would like to sit their white star
    assessment (or sit it again) before the end of the year the last
    assessment session for 2010 will be Sunday 28th November. There
    are four more training sessions to take advantage of between now
    and then so get your skates on! The training committee will need
    to select assessors for the white star assessment Sunday 28th
    November - if there are major issues with that date please select
    a new date and advise the league.
        - There was also a decision made at the derby watching session
    to continue with the three skate sessions a week but only have
    structured training with a designated trainer on Mondays and
    Thursdays and have both of these sessions from 7pm to 9pm. Sunday
    will become more of a free skate and will stick with the current
    time of 5pm to 8pm. The changes to the times will take place as of
    1st December.

    Derby names
        - If you get your white star this year then the deadline to
    have your *top three* (and list order of preference) derby names
    is Monday 29th November so please email these through to Jen
    (j2garnett@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:j2garnett@xxxxxxxxx>) *_AND_* Lisa
    (cormorant_80@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:cormorant_80@xxxxxxxxx>). They
    will be collated and sent to the master roster keepers for
    processing, check out the rules for selecting names here.
    <http://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/rules.html>

    Membership
        - Paying MSRDL dues is also something to think about -
    especially if you have your white star now. We leave it with the
    finance committee to set a due date for payment and to think about
    how long people should skate with the club for before they have to
    pay dues. Money will go towards paying for paint so we can have a
    more permanent track, club membership in Skate Australia, website
    domain and hosting fees, and other ongoing costs.
        - If anyone is interested in joining Skate Australia as an
    individual Skate Australia have confirmed that if you pay the $50
    fee now you will have membership until December 2011. Visit the
    Skate Australia

<http://skateaustralia.org.au/web/files/pdf_repository/1273798654-2010_Membership_Benefits.pdf>website
    to find out about the benefits of membership. Their office will be
    closed over Christmas from 17th December so get in quick! We also
    need 10 individuals to join skate Australia before we can join as
    a league.

    Logo
        - The logo may undergo a redesign so if you have any ideas of
    things to include or colour scheme please let us know.

    So, in summary - as members of the league you need to:
    1. Tell us which domain name you prefer and whether you think
    there is a need to purchase multiple domains and redirect from
    them to the main site - let us know by Thursday 25th November
    2. Lock the 28th November in your date as white star assessment if
    you're taking it and let the training committee know you're
    planning to take the test
    3. Start composing your bio for the website (due 5th December) and
    be prepared to have your "derby girl" photo taken that day as well

    4. Get your top three Derby names to us by 29th November
    5. Start saving to pay league fees.
    6. Start thinking about how you think about how you want to
    participate in the league and what decisions need to get made on
    Sunday 5th December - this even will need a couple of people to
    take the reins for that to organise an agenda etc?

    It's a busy time at the moment but this is your league and think
    of it as the storm before the summer lull. More to follow re.
    painting the track soon....

    Happy skating!

--

PO BOX 2765 Alice Springs NT 0871

Orkestra del Sol: /Top Trumps Down Under Tour;/Summer 2011

http://www.orkestradelsol.co.uk/

/"The genius of the Orkestra is the way they hide serious musicianship inside tongue-in-cheek humour. It's a winning combination" /

/- The Scotsman/