[malicesprings] Bout blues: and email from Darwin Roller Derby PLEASE READ

  • From: "Malice Springs" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: malicesprings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:22:25 +0930

Hello Amazing Ladies of Malice Springs RDL,

Maiden Shiner here from DRG. So things are really getting closer now and I
hope everyone is getting their derby mojos back. I wanted to share a
little bit about our girls and how the pressure of a bout can really
effect your energy. Not so long ago, we went through such a down time some
of us wernt even sure there was going to be a bout. constant low numbers
at training, training drills just not being used due to sheer lack of
numbers, even the skaters coming every night were loosing it because our
sisters were missing.

The most positive of role models were even getting dissheartened and
loosing steam. It was a really tough trot! Some girls were away, simply
just bad timing. for those that lost a bit of energy, i tried to find out
why and here is some of it.

Missing training for reasons like work or family still really can give you
guilt....you've missed training you can feel you have let people down. its
hard to kick start agian after absence.

Truth is some girls dont know what they have gotten into. Our freshies are
hearing about the Townsville girls and how hard they can hit and how fast
they are and that they need to be prepared cose there is some talent
headed up the highway. maybe frightened a few but truth is we are an
evenly matched bout!

Darwin and Malice have such a great bond but the girls that didnt go away
can feel different, this is scarier to them, its an unknown and its their
first bout. The rest of us just cant wait to be in a room with each other
and hug, then hit!

Illness is a biggy and not much can be done. it is important to protect
the team and not spread it around. Before Townsville we were all sooo sick
and we struggled. this time round has seen lots of kids sick and some of
the girls just feel they cant get a break, constantly missing training and
wondering why they should even bother or even deserve to be on the team...

The sheer size of this bout is exhausting and overwhelming! sometimes it
may seem easier to not be so involved with it all and avoid the pressure.
you will have plenty of time to crash and burn after wards but throw
yourself into the challenge head first, you WILL NOT REGRET IT!

It is a huge monster effort to just stop and say to yourself  'no, its
time to step up and start fighting'. we get depressed and worried and our
confidence takes a hammering. Its not just derby, its giving up smoking,
eating healthy spring cleaning the house....the longer you leave it the
harder it is to get up and do it!

Just as we started geting on track, the full moon came out and turned us
all into emotional fuckbags! some issues were happening that were real and
needed sorting but the sensitivity was high and really turned some of us
off derby all together. A sin to say such a thing but thats the reality,
we really had to look at individual issues and begin a healing process for
some and I will say i was one! I worked hard on my mentallity about issues
and derby and got through it guns ablazing!

Still we have girls that we need back on track but I have realized it cant
be forced through guilty commitment. Comitment comes with the mojo so I
try and be supportive of whatever is going on and really let them know
that its ok to be scattered but they are needed and wanted no matter how
much time they have been away and they deserve to be there and they have
every reason to give this a red hot go!

I hope all players new and with a bit of experience can see how even these
teams are. we have a good mix up of everything and our freshies need to
know that they are not alone in this...bothe teams have drafted them...our
first concern is your safety so please hit training with everything you
have and find the drive you need to make the most of this experiance.

Its not just about the bout. You are coming up to meet your extended
family and we will love you guys like we fell in love with the Townsville
crew. the best way to top that off is with a good strong bout for all to
see. We have a connection in derby like no other sport.

Please have a think about how you feel about this Bout. If you have some
secret negatives then open up, you need a strong mind and above all get to
training and get prepared and skate safe. If you have commitments keeping
you away, make sure you still keep open about it. dont carry guilt for
something that is not in your control.  This will be an Epic moment, enjoy
the ride. Im SO FUCKING EXCITED ABOUT THIS.  This bout is about to get
advertised big time and you just wait to see the posters! Im stoked and so
proud of the work that is getting done. Even that was not looking good
only a week ago. It goes to show how quickly you can make a change when
you just stop for a moments and say 'no, its time to fire up and fight and
knock down some walls'.

knock down those walls ladies...every single one of you is amazing, strong
and a fighter. lets bring on this Bout like nothing else the Territory has
seen before.

Heres to Derby and our undying passion to skate and be free!

Maiden Shiner...your friendly media representative for DRG.

OH AND DONT FORGET THE AFTER PARTY......you guys are gonna fucking love
this xxx

you will be well looked after while in our town so GET YOUR ARSES UP HERE
AND LET IT ROCK!

Cassandra Brown aka Maiden Shiner

--
Malice Springs Roller Derby League