[macvoiceover] Re: windows xp and bootcamp

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:44:38 -0500

Oh OK.

Well, if you're installing without sighted help, and you're not comfortable
with modifying/reburning CD images, then it might be better to try installing
Vista or Windows 7 in BootCamp instead of XP. In Win7 and Vista, you can put
the unattended setup file (unattend.xml), on a USB flashdisk. When you boot the
Windows disk, the Windows installer will search for USB disks that contain this
file, and will use it to provide the information that is needed to install
Windows. This method makes it easy to install without having to modify your
Vista or Windows 7 disk.

I don't have a real stable unattend.xml for Windows 7 yet that I could
distribute. Sorry. I have one that I made for 32-bit Win7 Ultimate, but it
doesn't work with 64-bit Win7, and I'm not sure that it will work with other
editions of Win7.

Another wrinkle is that, on a PC, it is a fairly straight forward process to
include directions in the unattend.xml file that tell it to repartition your
first hard drive, create a single NTFS partition, and install Windows to that
partition. This obviously isn't what you'd want to do in BootCamp, since it
would blow away MacOS. I tried to throw together an unattend.xml last week that
simply installed to the second partition on the Mac's hard drive, which I'd
formatted in advance with FAT32. Windows installed, but the MacOS was gone.
Fortunately, I had a backup, but this kind of experimentation eats up lots of
time. I think that I was confused about disk/partition numbers in the WAIK tool
that builds these unattended setup files for Vista and Win7. Some of the
indexes (disk number, partition number, etc) are 0 based, and some are 1 based.
Is confusing. I suppose that I could work it all out after spending some time
with the docs, but I only halfway care. Running in VMWare is so much easier.

It should be possible to put together an autounattend.xml that could be
distributed to VO users that are installing with BootCamp, as long as they had
a simple hard drive partitioning setup (1 Mac partition and 1 Windows
partition, in that order). The potential for an inexperienced user to run in to
disaster is quite high, though. Actually, a small mistake could mess anyone up.
That's what backups are for, but so many people skip them.

Bryan