[macvoiceover] Re: windows on the Mac

  • From: Joshua Tubbs <orin.angi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:59:59 -0400

Hello,

Sorry, but I can't help you with your windows questions, as I do not have windows on the mac. I have been trying to get windows installed on it fr weeks now without success, and the last time I tried (last week), my mac partition got deleted. Here's what happened. When in the bootcamp assistant, I elected to go with the "Use 32 Gigs" option. This is because the instructions as well as Apple say that this is the only way I could get, say, music, from my windows machine and transfer it to my Mac with a nice iTunes library.

So, I selected that, and everything is successful untill windows asks me for a partition. Only one is there, "Unknown partition", not the bootcamp one that's supposed to be there. So, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong deleting this particular partition. Huge, huge error on my part, as everything on my Mac was gone, and I had to do a fresh reinstall of Leopard again.

So, do any of you have these issues when selecting the "32 gigs" option? If I choose "divide equally" will I be able to share between computers And, once I finally do get it bloody working, I hope I won't run into this problem of jaws stuttering. I suppose if I have a problem I'll take my Mac to the apple store, but *shrug*, I'm a geek, and want to become a computer programmer. I should be able to do these things, it's destroying my Ego

Thanks.

On Mar 10, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Ginny wrote:

Hi there. I know many of you guys run Windows on your Macs. I’ve been doing this, too, for about a month now, and I have a few questions for anyone who is willing to answer. By the way, I have a Macbook with Leopard and run windows xp via bootcamp.

In the last few days, Jaws has started stuttering as if the system is sluggish—but I don’t have lots of programs installed or running on the system at once. Is it OK for me to use system tools like disk clean-up or defragmenter to see if I could fix this problem? Or could I run some type of external “clean-up” software, or would this be dangerous since I’m sharing space with another OS. (does that even make sense?) 2. My airport can still connect to my secured wireless network, but my Windows cannot. It can connect to other networks—just not security-enabled ones. I get an error about “the network might have been removed. Hit refresh.) or something like that. Has anyone else had this issue? To that end, is there a way to turn off the wireless feature when in windows since it’s actually using the airport?

I’m sure this is a silly question, but is there a way to move files into Mac folders while running Windows or vice versa? When I have Windows running, I can’t seem to find my Mac files (such as music) anywhere…I can’t get to the other drive. (Sorry; I know just enough to get myself in lots of trouble.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ginny