[macvoiceover] Re: iPhone Home Button; also version upgrades

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:45:32 -0500

First of all, the version numbers being given out here aren't accurate; I know
sometimes with voiceover it might be more difficult to differentiate. The
current version is 8.0.2, not 8.02 )notice the two decimal points) and the new
version will not be 8.2 but 8.1. I'm not pointing this out to be abrasive; it's
just that other updates will be coming out and as time progresses incorrect
version citations could cause more and more confusion.

From what you write, I don't know whether it is your home button or the
software that is causing the problem. If it is just siri you are having a
problem with, that might not be your home button. If it is your home button
function you are having trouble with and siri is just part of this, it might be
a home button problem, especially if it started before you installed iOS8 or
you can get good results by using alternate methods that don't involve the home
button. A lot of people go into accessibility and enable assistive touch when
they have a broken home button and keep right on using the phone. Assistive
touch gives you a home option without using the home button. You can have
assistive touch enabled and then ignore it unless you want it. I have done this
on one of my phones though I don't have a broken home button. Again, first you
want to determine whether the problem really is the home button or a software
problem and then you want to decide whether you want to get a new phone or not
and can afford it or not right now. If your phone is still under Apple Care, I
imagine it can be replaced but I imagine that isn't the case if it is two years
old. You also could go ahead and upgrade on Monday and see what problems still
persist.

To upgrade or not to upgrade - in iOS and in Mac OS - is a very individual
decision and there are really good reasons for making either decision. But we
all are here to support and encourage each other - even if there is somebody
still back on Tiger :-) (Well, if your primary computer really is still running
Tiger, you might find yourself in a little bit of difficulty - grin!)

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: