[macvoiceover] Re: VMWare Fusion / Jaws / Windows XP

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:51:50 -0700

It's possible to connect two keyboards to a mac, why not just go out and get a PC keyboard and a cheep USB hub?

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:38 PM, Mitchell Smith wrote:

Greetings List,

This is just a quick email to ask if anyone has found a work around for using Jaws under VMware Fusion with a laptop keyboard layout.

Unfortunately I require Windows at work for Eclipse (a Java IDE), which doesn't seem to work with VoiceOver at this time.

I have configured a virtual machine in VMware Fusion running Windows XP and installed Jaws 6.2 (yes I know it's a bit out of date, but as I mainly use the Leopard now, I don't see the point in upgrading).

I have always used JAWS with the laptop keyboard layout back in my Windows days, however I find that under Fusion, the capslock key isn't getting passed to the virtual machine in such a way that it works with JAWS.

So I thought I would drop a quick email to the list with the following questions.

* has anyone found a way to get this working in VMware Fusion with out falling back on the desktop keyboard layout?

* Does JAWS now work in Parallels (I see from a quick google search that it had some issues), and if this is now working, does it suffer from the same issue?

* Long shot I know, but has anyone managed to get Eclipse to work with VoiceOver?

I know I can just use bootcamp and these issues would go away, however that wouldn't allow me the ability to switch seamlessly between OSX and Windows with out rebooting.

Any comments / suggestions / feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch