[macvoiceover] Macintosh system administration for the blind

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, General discussions on all topics relating to the use of Mac OS X by the blind <discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Voiceoverleopard Voiceoverleopard <voiceoverleopard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:12:48 -0700

Iain Murrey of Curtin University in Perth and I have been discussing an idea of training the blind and dyslexic to be Macintosh systems administrators. Curtin University already offers a course in Cisco administration for the blind ending with the the student taking the Cisco exams.

Given that the Mac now has a built in screen reader in both MacOS X and MacOS X Server we feel we could offer such training to the blind and print disabled.

Curtin might offer courses leading to the various certifications Apple offers. These courses would be tailored to the needs of blind and dyslexic students, they would, for example have their training materials in braille and recorded formats. Tests would be administered in braille or orally and so on. As Curtin University already has experience in this sort of training worldwide it would seem to be the logical place to develop such training for the disable.

So what do you think is this something for which there would be an interest?

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022