[macvoiceover] Re: How to stop adium from saying empty

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:08:45 -0400

I'm just seeing this thread, but thought I'd chime in to say that the important
piece of the announcement is the "status" message for the list control. You can
use custom verbosity for the list, and reorder status so that it is last in the
announcement. Then, you'll still be able to hear the status of lists that
actually report status correctly, but you won't have to listen to "empty" at
the beginning of every contact name in Adium.

By the way, brief rant here. VoiceOver either has some serious inconsistencies
in how the verbosity settings work, or else better documentation is appropriate.

Here is an example. For the list in Adium, if you set custom verbosity, and set
VoiceOver to read first the name, then the status, then VoiceOver says things
like "John, empty". That is perfectly fine. However, if you disable all except
the status announcement, then VoiceOver should simply announce the status as
you arrow through the list, meaning that it should repeatedly say nothing more
than "empty", as you arrow. Instead, VoiceOver says "empty, John". It just
assumes that you must want the name read, even though you told it not to read
it. In fact, VoiceOver likes to ignore you when you disable several
announcements for different controls. The different types of text controls are
prime examples. If you decide that you don't want to hear a particular
announcement, then, not only will VoiceOver read that announcement anyway, but
it will seemingly arbitrarily decide in what order it will announce the
information that you've instructed it not to announce.

I suspect that not many people are extensively tweaking the verbosity settings.
Some undoubtedly are, but, perhaps, custom verbosity just isn't as popular with
most people, so is just poorly tested. Depending on the task at hand (like when
programming), I use a different set of VoiceOver prefs that I've optimized for
that type of work. Custom verbosity settings are a large part of that.

Oh, and loading a prefs file that uses multiple voice settings invariably
results in VO using some half and half mix of old and new settings until I
restart it. So, for me, the process is to load the new prefs, then restart VO.
I know that this is something that should go to Apple (is obviously a bug), but
wondered if others are noticing this, also.

Maybe VO's custom verbosity  is working correctly, and I'm just missing an
important piece of this puzzle. There really isn't any extensive info on this
part of VO, though, so I've had to pick this up through trial and error.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Any observations to share?

Bryan