[macvoiceover] Re: Help with An Update Notification

  • From: Tuscia-Falconer <tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 05:44:35 +1300

JJ, the answer is No, Yosemite or any other upgrade will not automatically
install. There should be a list in ‘software update showing any possible
updates and the updates you have recently installed.
Any serious modifications you are about to make always ask for your
administrator password before they proceed.
There are some third party upgrades that may ask that they upgrade
automatically. Myself, I like to manually do this and do not allow atomatic
upgrades.

TF

On 21/10/2014, at 5:31 am, JAKE JOEHL <jajoehl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone. Just a few minutes ago as I was reading the latest and greatest
issue of “AccessWorld,” I got an update notification. So I went to check the
software updates and there was a button that said simply “Free Upgrade.”
Wondering if this might be Yosemite trying to install itself, I gave the button
a press just to see if there might be more information or a way to stop the
installation. There was a security update—apparently for Mavericks—that needed
to install so I let it do its thing. After a few minutes I went to “About this
Mac” and saw that I was still on Os X version 10.9.5 . But immediately after I
restarted my computer a few minutes ago, it notified me that more software
updates are available and need to be installed. So my question is: is Yosemite
eventually going to install itself? I don’t want it at this time. Tia for any
assistance.
Jake
Please visit me at http://jazzyjj.dreamwidth.org .