[macvoiceover] Re: Downloading and installing

  • From: "Paul Nugent" <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:05:24 -0000

Ash,

This is great.

I am off to try this out.

Cheers now

Paul Nugent

-----Original Message-----
From: macvoiceover-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:macvoiceover-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ashley
Sent: 03 February 2010 18:59
To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [macvoiceover] Re: Downloading and installing

Hi Paul,

Yes you can install files from the cd.

The downloads folder is in your home folder, press cmd+shift+H from anywhere
in the finder.

Tipically, when you download an application for the mac, it will come in a
.dmg file. This file is a disk image, that has first to be mounted, and from
there you can find the applications folder. To mount a disk image, just open
it, and if it doesn't open automatically, it will appear on your desktop.
Inside the dmg, will be the application. Now it's the slightly more
confusing part:) some apps have installers; and some don't. Look inside the
dmg's folder, and you should find the name of the application. If voiceover
says, "selected application", copy and paste this into your applications
folder.
If the file ends in a .mpkg or .pkg extention, voiceover will say "selected
installer package." Simply open this file and follow the instructions in the
installer window that pops up. You will be asked for your password when
installing a program in this way.

When you're done, go to your desktop, and find each dmg that you have
mounted, and eject them with cmd+E. Then you can safely eject your cd.

Hope this helps!

Ash
Check out my website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk