[macvoiceover] Re: Downloading and installing

  • From: Ignasi Cambra <ignasicambra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 13:57:34 -0500

When you download an application for the mac, it generally comes in a disk
image (.dmg file) or as an installation package (.pkg). Sometimes you find a
.pkg file in a disk image, so don't get confused with that... In any case, most
applications don't need to be installed like in windows. In other words, if you
open a dmg file in the finder, you can simply open the application inside and
it will work. What you would normally do, though, is to copy the application
and paste it to your applications folder. Some disk images actually come with
an alias to the applications folder, so what you see when you open the disk
image is the application itself and an alias to your local applications folder.
So just select the application, press command c, go to the applications folder
alias, open it and press command v to paste it. Installation packages work more
or less like in windows. You open them, and go through installation dialogs.
When you download something in your mac, it does go to the downloads folder if
you haven't changed anything in the safari preferences. To go to the downloads
folder, just go to the finder and press command shift h to go to your home
folder, and find the downloads folder in there. You can also open downloaded
items from the safari downloads window.
Good luck!

IC