[macvoiceover] Advanced Arranging with GarageBand

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:29:49 -0400

So I have my GarageBand scripts/macros for VoiceOver and VoxKeys (see
www.bryansmart.com if you want them). However, I still haven't figured out good
ways of accomplishing many things in GarageBand.

When I try to build a song entirely out of loops, it is a massive mess.

Even though VoiceOver claims that a clip/loop is selected, it isn't, and so
cut/copy/paste won't work. I have cursor tracking on, but pressing
VO-shift-space to select doesn't actually select the clip with focus. Instead,
I must route the VO cursor to the keyboard cursor with VO-Command-Shift-F5,
then click. This works, most of the time, but is a horrible mess. Maybe I'll
make a macro to do this if no one has a better idea.

Arranging is terrible. Suppose that you make an 8 bar intro by using 2 loops of
2 bars each, in the pattern a b a b. That means that your intro consists of 4
loops. Sighted users have no problem managing this. If they wish to repeat the
intro later, they have only to display the arrange track, where they can mark
off sections of the song as chorus, verse, etc, and can cut/copy/paste that
way. We can't. As far as I can tell, the arrange track is totally invisible to
VoiceOver.

My first impulse for a workaround is to try to join the four loops together in
to a new loop. So, I'd combine those 4 2 bar loops in to a single 8 bar loop
that I'd call "intro guitar" or something similar. Due to VoiceOvers screwed up
selection support, though, selecting multiple items for joining is broken.
Selecting anything with VoiceOver doesn't work. I have macros in VoxKeys for
clicking the mouse with modifiers. Using those, I can turn off VO cursor
tracking, route the mouse cursor to the VO cursor's position with
VO-Command-Shift-F5, then press VX-space followed by shift-space to shift click
each of the clips. This should be like a sighted person performing a
shift-click on each of the 4 clips. VoiceOver reports that they're all
selected, but the join clips option in the Edit menu is still grayed out.

The only remaining option is to repeatedly paste each of these 4 clips, over
and over, to fill out the entire structure of the song. No way that I'll ever
waste my time doing anything like that for a song. It would take hours and
hours to get a basic song structure together, and I'd only have completed a
single track.

Anyone have ideas?

VO support in GB has come a long way, but I still use Sonar for anything that
matters. I could copy and paste this crap out with Sonar in only 1 or 2
minutes. In GB, I'd be slugging it out for hours. By that point, I no longer
give a crap about the song idea, and am ready to do other things.

Bryan