[mac4theblind] Re: Jaws vs. voice over

  • From: Marcy Weinberg <marcy.weinberg1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:01:55 -0500

You are correct in that you do move from column to column with the left and
right arrows.  This moves between heading, links, form controls, and so on,
depending on the items you have chosen to include.  This is done in VO utility
as explained below.

There is a help topic on this.  Open VO utility, and press vo-m or control-f2
to get to the menu bar.  Arrow to voiceover help, and type web rotor in the
search box.  I've checked this out, and there you will find explanations for
all that I've been talking about here.

On Feb 22, 2012, at 1:45 PM, David Hilbert Poehlman wrote:

I don't understand this, is there a help topic on it  it looks to me like the
elements are presented in columns a lot like the new jaws elements lists so as
you move left and right, you are moving from column to column such as links,
headings, tables, checkboxes etc depending on what you have set in vo prefs as
you indicate.

On Feb 22, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Marcy Weinberg wrote:

The rotor is a quick way to get to a link, heading, text field, form control,
and a number of other controls on a web page.

In vo utility, go to the web category.  Tab once, then use vo-right arrow to
get to the web rotor tab, and press enter to select it.  Tab once to the item
table, and arrow down the list of the things that can be in the rotor, checking
or unchecking boxes with the space bar as you go.

Open the rotor in Safari or any place that has html content such as an email,
with the control-option-u keys.  Left and right arrow to the item you are
looking for, such as a link.  You can then arrow down the list of links, or
type the first few letters of the link's name if you know it.  As you type more
letters, the links list will get smaller to fit the criteria of the letters you
are typing.  This smaller list can be viewed using the down arrow key, as can
any of the lists in the rotor.

On Feb 22, 2012, at 10:07 AM, David Hilbert Poehlman wrote:

what is the rotor and how do you envoke it?
?

On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Marcy Weinberg wrote:

With VoiceOver, there is the vo utility, where you can set up voiceover to
behave as you would like.

I find the key commanders most helpful to open many apps I use all of the time.
 In Safari, I find the rotor extremely useful to get to a heading, link,
button, or form control that I am looking for.

These things alone make my use of my mac with vo extremely fast and efficient,
let alone the other things that can be set up in vo utility such as navigation,
web, and speech.

Marcy

On Feb 22, 2012, at 7:54 AM, David Hilbert Poehlman wrote:

this is incorrect, there are key combinations that you can use with vo to "jump
to different things".
On Feb 21, 2012, at 5:58 PM, Tracy Duffy wrote:

The major difference is all the key strokes and commands. As far as the basic
screen reading functions, they work similarly. Reading things on the interbnet
is different because you have to choose headers or links or whatever instead of
having key combinations that will jump to the different things. I am over
simplifying it, but I think that gives you some idea.

On Feb 21, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Benjamin Blatter wrote:

> Hello to all!
>
> I guess this topic may have been covered here a few times. but as far I can
> remember not since I'm here.
> I often hear or read that voice over is different to jaws. but usually it
> stops there.
> My question is what's so different to jaws? Whats the most important thing to
> know or to consider for someone who grew up with jaws?
>
> Also I'd like to know if someone of you run windows with bootcamp and have
> jaws or NVDA installed successfully? No problems with licencing because it's
> a mac? I have Jaws 9.
>
> Maybe these questions sound a bit dumb LOL But I want to be sure that I still
> can have an accessible windows on a mac in case I don't grasp voice over or
> the whole apple way of thinking at the begin.
>
> Thanks
> Ben

tracyduffy@xxxxxxxxx
Isaiah 2:11 Human pride will be brought down,
   and human arrogance will be humbled.
Only the LORD will be exalted
   on that day of judgment.

Touching The Internet