[mac4theblind] Re: Buying a mac computer

  • From: Scott Granados <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:44:48 -0400

Hi there, so there's a few ways to go.  Do not carry a mini around, that seems
like a lot more work than it's worth.
        The 13 or 15inch displays don't have impact on braille as the same
amount of text appears on each in many cases just it's how the sizing is
scaled.  So that should be a non issue.
        Your deciding factor should be on how much memory / processing power
you need.  What are you going to do with it etc?  If you don't need a lot of
power or memory I'd go with an Air.  They are great and don't break the bank.
If you want to do more like run virtual machines (more than one at once) or
heavy computing I'd go with the 15 inch with the processor that fits your needs.
        As far as memory, buy as much as you can afford then save up and buy
more.  Memory is a huge factor on performance, much more so than clock rates or
processing power etc.  Also if you can go with an SSD do it, SSD is faster than
the traditional rotating mechanical hard drives.

        Hope that helps.

Thanks
Scott