[mac4theblind] Re: Buying a mac computer

  • From: Scott Granados <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:19:40 -0400

Hi, so if you can justify the cost I would go with a Macbook pro 15.  If you
want to run VMs I would go with the upgraded processor (quad core I7) and piles
of memory.  Remember that Apple totally rips you off for memory and
underestimates how much can be addressed so use another vendor for your memory
and knock off about 600 bucks from the cost.  (US prices)
        I have a laptop from work that has 32 GB of memory and it works great
even though Apple only supports up to 16.  Crucial sells the memory upgrade
kits for very reasonable money.
        I am a network engineer by profession and my company supplies us with
virtual routers that boot as VM images so in some cases I'll boot 12 to 16
routers at a time and it works wonderfully.  The lower end macs will not
support this nearly as nicely or smoothly.  You can get away with less but in
the end if you're using this for work or professionally the savings in money
isn't worth the hit in performance because time / performance = saved time /
money at least in my line of work.
        Good luck and let us know what you go with.