Re: Weird numeric for loop counter variable behavior

  • From: "Yichun Zhang (agentzh)" <agentzh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:04:45 -0800

Hello Mike!

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Mike Pall wrote:
> Please Yichun, this is uncalled for. Those bugs were truly obscure
> and rare. It's absolutely not helpful to suggest that *any* kind
> of random observation without context is a) truly a bug in LuaJIT
> and b) related in any way to those recently fixed. I mean ... most
> of these obscure issues were already present in 2.0, but nobody
> else has reported them for several years.

I'm very sorry for the false signal, which was not my original
intention at all. Just trying to be helpful ;)

I was just following the reasoning that the LuaJIT v2.1's JIT compiler
is much stronger now, especially with the new "trace stitching"
feature, so we'd expect deep hidden bugs in the JIT compiler to expose
nowadays :) For our Lua apps running for several years, for example,
it was mostly the dead-solid interpreter running and we never had any
issues in production with LuaJIT 2.0.x :)

But yeah, this is much less likely for the 2.0.2 release whose JIT
compiler is still relatively functionally limited.

Sorry again!

Best regards,
-agentzh