Re: Weird numeric for loop counter variable behavior

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1403@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 21:33:47 +0100

Yichun Zhang (agentzh) wrote:
> I suggest you try out the latest master or v2.1 branch in the
> luajit-2.0 git repos (see http://luajit.org/download.html ).
>
> We used to see such weird things due to out-of-sync BASE and PC
> registers as well. And we helped Mike Pall chase down and fix several
> important bugs in the JIT compiler that could lead to this in the last
> few weeks.

Please Yichun, this is uncalled for. Those bugs were truly obscure
and rare. It's absolutely not helpful to suggest that *any* kind
of random observation without context is a) truly a bug in LuaJIT
and b) related in any way to those recently fixed. I mean ... most
of these obscure issues were already present in 2.0, but nobody
else has reported them for several years.

Also, swamping a newcomer with rather advanced advice about
debugging the internals of LuaJIT itself is unlikely to be
effective.

Occam's razor tells us there has to be a much simpler reason for a
very basic 6-liner to malfunction. Especially given that it
doesn't reproduce for anyone else. And any speculation is pointless
without context, which the original reporter failed to provide.