RE: LuaJIT project ideas: Bash 5.0

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 05:01:30 +0000

I'm not sure of the benefits of going through that exercise, but I've had that
thought myself as well.
The way I look at it, Lua/JIT can represent a new OS layer.  ljsyscall is a
perfect example.  With that, I never have to touch C again, as long as LuaJIT
works on the target platform.
It's also a chance to layout something similar between Windows and Linux.
There might be some performance benefits, although I'm not sure system shell
scripts have traditionally be thought of as high performance components.
In short, it's probably worth an effort, at least as a project that people just
start because they find it to be useful.  If a community picks up on it, then
great, if not, then there you go.
I'm interested in replacingtcpdumpwgetlibcurlgrep
And a couple of others.
One thing to consider, has node.js already started providing this?  So many
packages, so little time.
-- William

- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.