Re: LuaJIT PS3 port early testing

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1206@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:05:57 +0200

Justin Cormack wrote:
> I don't have a ps3 either but would tests on Linux on ppc64 compiled as 32
> bit be useful as I do have an old ppc64 Mac lying around?

Not really, as the PPC32 port is already known to work.

[
PPC is a bit weird when it comes to 32 bit vs. 64 bit. The CPU
instruction set has been designed to work for both from the start
(but not all CPUs support both). So a PPC64 kernel can always run
PPC32 binaries. At least in theory.

But it depends on the specific CPU whether this is a true 32 bit
hardware emulation with truncated registers (G5) or whether this
is delegated to the compiler (PS3).

Plain PPC32 binaries wouldn't run on the latter since the
different register width affects indexing, carry/overflow flags or
dot instructions. You'll need to recompile everything and the
kernel needs special support for this mixed PPC32on64 mode, too.
]