Re: Funding LuaJIT 2.1 and beyond

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1206@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 13:19:11 +0200

demetri wrote:
> This is not exactly a proposal, but I think Mike might be underestimating
> the crowd-funding or pooled-corporate-funding idea.
>
> I would certainly participate, and I'm sure there are 100 companies in the
> world who value Mike working on the GC at NPV >$1k USD.  I'm sure there are
> also at least 10 for whom that number is $10k USD.

This is certainly encouraging, thank you!

> I have some limited experience in this space and would be happy to help. I
> have tentatively created a web survey form and with Mike's blessing would
> circulate it to the list (I don't want to steal his thunder if he is
> planning his own research effort).

Well, I'd rather have a well-crafted plan first. All of that needs
to be on solid legal grounds. I'm sure there are various hurdles
due to local and international tax laws.

Writing invoices to companies worldwide is comparably easy (now
that I figured it out for many different countries). Not so for
individuals (not allowed to collect 'donations', VAT issues, etc).

I think it would be better to put out such a survey after all of
this has been cleared up.