RE: Funding LuaJIT 2.1 and beyond

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:07:48 +0000

I'd be interested in giving some amount of funding.  I'm not a
corporatesponsor, and I probably having just a bit more than lint in my
pockets, but perhaps I, and others, can get motivated around particular
scenarios. For example, the better GC is appealing to me in the context of
makingrobust web services that much more robust.  If I can see a connection
between better GC and my particular scenario, that might be worth a few hundred
dollars to me. Similarly, LuaJIT might be appealing as the best language to use
for interaction with high performance computing, with respect to things
likeCUDA, OpenCL, and OpenGL  So, again, I'd be willing to put down a
fewhundred dollars if I thought those scenarios might be made better. So,
perhaps there can be funding drives around particular scenarios, atleast for
those of us who are not corporate sponsors, but would greatlybenefit from
having improvements made. Another avenue that might be dramatically good, is
getting a non-profitto act as an aggregator for a funding drive.  For example,
getting LuaJITas a first class citizen on Raspberry Pi might be a great thing.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation could act as a sponsor to fund this work.  As such,
anyone who works for a large corporation can donate to the Pi Foundation,and
get matching funds from their corporate employer, often times doubling their
donation. If you go after educational institution like Raspberry Pi, then
possiblyanother, like the Gates Foundation might be interested, because
they'reall about the educational angle on things.  So, again, anyone can giveto
Gates, as a non-profit, and get their donations doubled by theircorporate
employer (if they have such a program). Just a few thoughts. -- William

- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.