Re: Creating a statically linked executable for a LuaJIT+C program

  • From: Markus Walther <dr.marikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:11:22 +0100

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Mike Pall <mike-1210@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Markus Walther wrote:
>> - why does luajit require root for some tasks on OS X, could the error
>> message be improved to indicate this?
>
> It does not. You've probably installed it as root with the wrong
> umask.

No, since I used the 'sudo make install' incantation.

Turns out it was a problem with LUA_PATH environment variable being
set (and list of paths not including the jit modules location). When I
unset it, it worked without root. Since jit modules are conceptually
part of luajit, maybe predefine their location in package.path?

>> - would creating a statically linked standalone executable for a pure
>> Lua file still involve a minimal C wrapper file
>>  that creates a new Lua state L, maybe opens standard libraries and
>> then ends in a luaL_dostring(L,"require('module')")?
>
> Sure. I mean ... what's the question?

I guess the (arguably implicit) question is whether it would make
sense to generate that wrapper automatically by luajit, which would
strengthen the case for building standalone apps in a comfortable
manner?

E.g. luajit -b module.lua module.app

Or  a -standalone flag which triggers generating those extra files
plus a makefile which specifies how to build the standalone app?

Just my 2c...

Cheers, Markus