Re: Creating a statically linked executable for a LuaJIT+C program

  • From: Coda Highland <chighland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 11:15:56 -0700

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM, John Spencer
<maillist-luajit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> thanks for your in-depth analysis why glibc is unsuitable for static
>>> linking (apart from license issues and massive bloat) though.
>>

>> You can link libc dynamically and the rest statically.
>>

> this sounds like A Bad Idea. if you dynamically link one component, you can
> as well just dynamically link everything, because you'll lose the advantages
> of static linking.

It's not as bad as it sounds. libc is available pretty much
everywhere, every system needs it, and the ABI is more or less stable.
(I know it's not perfect, but I can run Debian binaries on my Gentoo
system.) Statically linking libc is calling for bloat if you have more
than one binary on the machine that uses libc -- which seems highly
likely. Practically speaking it's the one dependency you can be sure
will be there.

/s/ Adam