Re: [ANN] Sci-1.0-beta1

  • From: Stefano <phd.st.p@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:55:18 +0100

On 19 September 2012 19:19, Simon Heath <icefoxen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Looks quite cool, though I only looked at it briefly.
>
> Based on my recent experience with numpy and scipy, I humbly suggest
> you add functions to create interpolations and extrapolations, which I
> couldn't find.

Could you please expand on this point? You mean for the 1D case (vectors) ?

> And, is anyone aware of any good graphing libraries for Lua/LuaJIT?
> That tends to be a pretty necessary companion for scientific computations...

Well, that is for me the main motivation for the Rclient library. It
would allow you to install R and use ggplot2 to produce plots, see
http://had.co.nz/ggplot2/book/qplot.pdf for an introduction (sample
chapter, it does much more).

Rclient allows to exchange data back and forth between LuaJIT and an R
server session and execute arbitrary R code.
Yes, you would need R (which is GPL) and you would be able to produce
just non-interactive plots (not even resizing) so mainly plot to
files. But the Rclient library will be MIT licensed if this is a
concern.

I think that, for the short term at least, this is a good compromise.