Re: 64-bit ARM and iOS

  • From: Karel Tuma <kat@xxxxxx>
  • To: luajit <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:51:52 +0200

Excerpts from Alex Szpakowski's message of 2014-10-21 01:16:45 +0200:
> Starting in February new iOS apps uploaded to the Apple App Store will
> require 64-bit binaries.[1]
>
> Now would be a good time to get the ball rolling on a 64-bit ARM port of
> LuaJIT – via sponsorship or whatever else may be necessary. :)
>
> [1]: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=10202014a

If Mike or somebody does not pick it up, I'm willing to start port of the
interpreter.
For production quality, I'd need actual hardware to make adjustments for the
host OS,
as qemu has only userspace. Donation of aarch64 dev board or consumer device
would do.

ps: For iOS, first we need to confirm that Apple will sign aarch64 mach-o
where __PAGEZERO is being tempered with (either at link, or run time). If
that's not the
case, running LuaJIT there will be very difficult if __PAGEZERO is 4gb like is
the case
on x64 OSX.

K.