[louisianaleps] sightings on 6/30/13, Cameron and Jeff Davis Parish, LA

  • From: Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kncunning@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 21:41:26 -0400 (EDT)

I spent the day moving around eastern Cameron and western Jeff Davis Parishes.
Although not huge numbers, there were butterflies to be seen in most places,
and I had a total of 20 species. Cameron Parish has obvioulsy sprayed a
herbicide along many roadways killing both grass and flowers. The predominate
flowering plant was brazilian vervain. Also present were black-eyes susans,
button-bush, pickerelweed, and a yellow flower on a vine that looked like a
small hibiscus. The most common b/fs were Great So. Whites which were flying in
all locations and all points in between. I also saw a couple of Scissor-tailed
Fly-catchers in Cameron. First time to see them that far south.

Cameron Prairie NWR, Cameron Par., 9:30-11:30

5 Black ST
13 Great So. Whites
2 Little Yellows
3 E. Tailed Bls
3 Variegated Frits
3 Buckeyes
1 Monarch
A(bundant) Trop. Checkered-skippers
5 Common Checkered-skippers
10 So. Sklgs
7 Least Sks
1 Neamathla Sk
2 Broad-winged Sks

Lacassine Loop. Jeff Davis Par., 12:00-1:30

1 Blk ST
3 Grt. So. Whs
2 Sleepy Or
1 Little Yellow