[louisianaleps] Kisatchie Butterflies

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisiana Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:22:11 -0700 (PDT)

I went to Kisatchie National Forest in Natchitoches Parish this morning
to look for butterflies.  In particular I wanted to find Meske's
skippers which are rather rare in Louisiana.  They fly in June and this
is the only place in the state where they have been found.  It was a
very good day for finding these skippers.  I saw a 140 of them and I
could have easily counted more.  Most were found along a three mile
stretch of the main paved road through the forest--Longleaf Vista Road.  They
were seen getting nectar from two different kinds of
flowers--pycnanthemum and a yellow flower which I don't know the name
of.  Every patch of blooming pycnanthemum had between one and six
Meske's.  It was amazing.  There were several other species which were
nice:  Common wood-nymph, palamedes swallowtail and dusky roadside skipper.
The
complete list of butterflies is below.

I would very much like to know what the yellow flower is.  I have placed
some photos of it and the Meste's at the following link:

http://jtrahan.com/temp/yellow_flower.htm

If you happen to know what this flower is, please let me know.  You might have
to copy the link and paste it into the address bar of your browser.

Jeff Trahan
Shreveport

1   Southern
Cloudywing