[louisianaleps] moth i.d., 'recent' sightings

  • From: Jonathan Clark <falloutbird1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LouisianaLeps <LouisianaLeps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 07:52:37 -0700

Lalep,

First, I'm doing a series of blog posts about what leps I've seen around
Cenla this spring and summer and I wanted to ask anyone who's given (or
will give) answers to my queries about the identity of butterflies or moths
in my photos if I have permission to mention your name in the blog. Give
credit for helping me out in learning my leps.
I have some moth photos that I'm having trouble identifying. If you'd
like to give them a try, the links to said photos on flickr are below. If
the linked picture isn't sufficient, there's usually one or more other
photos of the same insect adjacent to it in the photo stream (below main
photo). Thanks ahead of time for your help!

1- I've tried, but couldn't find a likely looking match on the lists of
Louisiana moths and not sure where to start in terms of what family of
moths to narrow down search in other resources. Seen Catahoula NWR
Headquarters Unit (bottomland hardwoods, open weedy/grassy roadside/levee,
lake) in La Salle Parish on 9/6/2015.
https://flic.kr/p/y2HARE

2- tentative i.d.: Large Lace-Border (Scopula limboundata). Seen in Jena,
La Salle Parish on 8/20/15. Habitat: part of yard with trees adjacent to
small patch of mixed pine-hardwoods, nearby are swampy pond, open areas,
and brushy/thicket. Residential part of town.
https://flic.kr/p/y16wwh

3- tentative i.d.: Texas Grass Tubeworm Moth (Acrolophus texanella) or
Grass Tubeworm Moth (A. arcanellus). Seen in Jena, La Salle Parish 8/22/15.
Same location as Large Lace-Border above.
https://flic.kr/p/xJkKgS -side view
https://flic.kr/p/xYD8Lu -dorsal

4- This one was in Jena, 9/17/15. Same location as the Large Lace-Border.
https://flic.kr/p/yRQSvf ...at least one more similar moth was also seen,
probably same species as one in photo.

5- Not sure where to start with this one. Seen Willow Lake Unit of
Catahoula NWR La Salle Parish 9/7/15. The habitat is edge of secondgrowth
hardwoods across road from weedy/brushy field in a floodplain area.
https://flic.kr/p/y969YY
https://flic.kr/p/y96mVy

a few sighting...

Saw my First of Fall Monarch on 9/6/15 at Catahoula NWR Willow Lake Unit in
La Salle Parish. Nectaring on Polygonum (smartweed) sp. The next day I saw
one or two Monarchs at the same location. 9/7 nectaring on Balloon Vine
(Cardiospermum halicacabum) <https://flic.kr/p/y9bPna> ... and here
<https://flic.kr/p/yqGKrK>

Also on 9/6 I had a couple of what I think are Horace's Duskywings at
Willow Lake, with one appearing to be laying eggs (?) on the ground. Photos
of this --https://flic.kr/p/xnkBRb

Timandra amaturaria Cross-lined Waved had been very common on the refuge in
La Salle Parish over the past few weeks/couple of months. Seen often along
roadside where grassy. BAMONA confirmed i.d. of one sighting so I feel
confident. Some photos here -- Willow Lake Unit 9/7/15
<https://flic.kr/p/y97PM5> , HQ Unit 9/6/15 <https://flic.kr/p/yk2Mv8> , 8/29
Willow Lake <https://flic.kr/p/ygXwj7>
Have a great weekend, good luck if you're going out Lep-ing!
Jonathan Clark
Jena, LA