[louisianaleps] Comments from Vernon Antoine Brou Jr., RE: moth i.d., 'recent' sightings

  • From: "Vernon Antoine Brou Jr." <vabrou@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <falloutbird1@xxxxxxxxx>, "'LouisianaLeps'" <LouisianaLeps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:29:28 -0500

From: louisianaleps-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:louisianaleps-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jonathan Clark
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 9:53 AM
To: LouisianaLeps
Subject: [louisianaleps] moth i.d., 'recent' sightings

Lalep,

First, I'm doing a series of blog posts about what leps I've seen around
Cenla this spring and summer and I wanted to ask anyone who's given (or will
give) answers to my queries about the identity of butterflies or moths in my
photos if I have permission to mention your name in the blog. Give credit for
helping me out in learning my leps.

I have some moth photos that I'm having trouble identifying. If you'd like
to give them a try, the links to said photos on flickr are below. If the linked
picture isn't sufficient, there's usually one or more other photos of the same
insect adjacent to it in the photo stream (below main photo). Thanks ahead of
time for your help!

1- I've tried, but couldn't find a likely looking match on the lists of
Louisiana moths and not sure where to start in terms of what family of moths to
narrow down search in other resources. Seen Catahoula NWR Headquarters Unit
(bottomland hardwoods, open weedy/grassy roadside/levee, lake) in La Salle
Parish on 9/6/2015.

https://flic.kr/p/y2HARE Your specimen appears to be Spoladea recurvalis.

2- tentative i.d.: Large Lace-Border (Scopula limboundata). Seen in Jena, La
Salle Parish on 8/20/15. Habitat: part of yard with trees adjacent to small
patch of mixed pine-hardwoods, nearby are swampy pond, open areas, and
brushy/thicket. Residential part of town.

https://flic.kr/p/y16wwh Definitely not limbouta. Your specimen appears to
be Lobocleta ossularia.

3- tentative i.d.: Texas Grass Tubeworm Moth (Acrolophus texanella) or Grass
Tubeworm Moth (A. arcanellus). Seen in Jena, La Salle Parish 8/22/15. Same
location as Large Lace-Border above.

https://flic.kr/p/xJkKgS -side view

https://flic.kr/p/xYD8Lu -dorsal This is an Acrolophus species. The genus is
being revised for publication in the upcoming MONA fascicle. There are some
taxonomical changes that may involve this common species.

4- This one was in Jena, 9/17/15. Same location as the Large Lace-Border.

https://flic.kr/p/yRQSvf ...at least one more similar moth was also seen,
probably same species as one in photo. A common small size pyralid species,
would need to go to my reference collection to place a species name on this one.

5- Not sure where to start with this one. Seen Willow Lake Unit of Catahoula
NWR La Salle Parish 9/7/15. The habitat is edge of secondgrowth hardwoods
across road from weedy/brushy field in a floodplain area.

https://flic.kr/p/y969YY

https://flic.kr/p/y96mVy Sorry, appears to be a noctuid, but unable to
determine, poor image and angle.

a few sighting...

Saw my First of Fall Monarch on 9/6/15 at Catahoula NWR Willow Lake Unit in La
Salle Parish. Nectaring on Polygonum (smartweed) sp. The next day I saw one or
two Monarchs at the same location. 9/7 nectaring on Balloon Vine (Cardiospermum
halicacabum) <https://flic.kr/p/y9bPna> ... and here
<https://flic.kr/p/yqGKrK>

Also on 9/6 I had a couple of what I think are Horace's Duskywings at Willow
Lake, with one appearing to be laying eggs (?) on the ground. Photos of this
--https://flic.kr/p/xnkBRb These are difficult to determine even when I have
them in front of me, spread. They vary in markings considerably when you are
able to look at hundreds of examples, as I have.

Timandra amaturaria Cross-lined Waved had been very common on the refuge in La
Salle Parish over the past few weeks/couple of months. Seen often along
roadside where grassy. BAMONA confirmed i.d. of one sighting so I feel
confident. Some photos here -- Willow Lake Unit 9/7/15
<https://flic.kr/p/y97PM5> , HQ Unit 9/6/15 <https://flic.kr/p/yk2Mv8> , 8/29
Willow Lake <https://flic.kr/p/ygXwj7> Correct, all three images.

Have a great weekend, good luck if you're going out Lep-ing!

Jonathan Clark

Jena, LA