[londonlaw-users] State of the Project

  • From: Paul Pelzl <pelzlpj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: londonlaw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:31:21 -0500

I thought this would be a good time to update everyone on the current
status of the code, and talk about where things ought to go from here.

A couple of weeks ago Conor Davis joined the project, and our design
discussions were enough of a catalyst to get me writing some code as
well.  Development has been steady since that time, and together we've
ripped out all the networking code and replaced it with something
cleaner and more reliable based on the Twisted framework.  The protocol
is now line-based, so one can play a game via telnet for debugging
purposes.  The server can handle multiple games running simultaneously,
so we're heading towards having the ability to launch a public game
server and leave it running indefinitely.  I would estimate that the
networking code is about 80% of the way to supporting all features of
the 0.1.0 code, and the remaining 20% should be wrapped up in the coming
week.

The client is now single-threaded, and it is my expectation that this
will eliminate the mysterious connection difficulties that some were
having (under OS X in particular).

This is what I see as a reasonable roadmap for the near term.
Discussion would be welcome.

   1) Support the 0.1.0 feature set in the new networking code.
      (~ 1 week)

   2) Add support for saving and resuming games using passwords.
      (~ 2 days)

   3) Generate 0.2.0 release candidate(s), test on multiple platforms.
      (~ 3 days)

   4) Release 0.2.0.  (To be followed by 0.2.x bugfix releases, as
      necessary.)

   5) Produce a base class for an AI client that keeps track of
      important game data and abstracts away the protocol details.
      Provide at least one simple AI client derived from this base
      class, and a server command to request an AI player.

   6) Improve client graphics.  Specifically, make pawn location markers
      more visible (drop shadows? toggleable animations?), improve the
      look of the chat window, etc.

   7) Generate 0.3.0 release candidate(s), test on multiple platforms.

   8) Release 0.3.0.

Of course, in parallel with all of the above would be:

   a) Clean up dirty code.

   b) Add on to the testing framework.

In short, I think there is much to look forward to in the near future.
Comments?

Paul