[londonlaw-users] Re: Running as a daemon

  • From: Paul Pelzl <pelzlpj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: londonlaw-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:21:42 -0500

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:54:47AM -0800, michael wrote:
> Ive been considering just leaving the server and client components to
> be run manually by the user for now since the project is at such an
> early stage.

I think this is probably a good decision.  There are a couple of issues
with the current server setup that would make daemonizing a bit
unattractive:

   * The server dumps a pair of database files in ~/.londonlaw/server/ .
     Of course, it would be pretty trivial to patch that and dump the
     database somewhere in /var .

   * At the moment there's no good way to clean up stale saved games.
     If you invite a bunch of people to play on your server, and they
     abandon their games, you're stuck with them.  (Until you kill the
     server, manually delete the database, and restart.)  In the next
     release I'll address that issue with game expiration dates or an
     admin account or something.

Paul