[lit-ideas] Re: was Re: Derrida Passes

  • From: jlye@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:16:37 -0400 (EDT)

<At 07:55 PM 10/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:

<A.A.  How many intellectuals do you think know anything outside their
<narrow field of expertise?

I think of myself as a expert in every field but my own.

Fortunately for everyone, returning to Derrida, a writer for whom I have
great respect, I have a brief web page on différance at
http://www.brocku.ca/english/courses/4F70/diffr.html. It should clear up.
like, absolutely everything.  Think of différance as the condition which
allows being and meaning to exist, and at the same time continually to be
contingent and tentative.

Robert Paul and others will no doubt note that philosophy is not my field.
 Hence, of course, my expertise.

Cheers --

John Lye
St. Catharines

(A city of now some 120,000 named after Catharine Shipman, wife of Paul
Shipman, the proprietor of the bar at the meeting place of the Welland
Canal and the highway through the peninsula;  originally called Shipman's
Corners, the city's main street is St. Paul St. -- just thought you should
know that, in case you thought the city's name was spelled funny.)
(Actually, I don't really live in St. Catharines, I live in Pelham, but
Pelham is just a legal fiction with, a bunch of farms and vineyards and a
few towns.)