[lit-ideas] Re: third world

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:03:17 +0000

Third World
This political term is originally French. Tiers Monde was coined in 1955 by
French demographer Alfred Sauvy and first used in print the following year by
G. Balandier. The English is a literal translation, or calque, of the French.
Sauvy used the archaic tiers instead of the modern troisième as a parallel
construction to the Tiers État, or Third Estate. The term quickly entered
English soon after its coining.
The First World is the industrialized West, the Second World are the Communist
nations of the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, and the Third World are all the
rest.
(Source: Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition)

Friday, November 5, 2004, 1:57:19 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> Stupid question.  When and how did the phrase "third world country"  come
Jac> into being?  My daughter wanted a definition and I found myself  suddenly
struck
Jac> dumb.  There are no "first world countries" or "second  world countries".
???

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx